Number of entries vs size of zotero.sqlite

Is there a (rough) relation between the number of entries and the size of zotero.sqlite?

I have 1582 entries and zotero.sqlite is 150.4 MB, that's about 95kB/entry. That seems an awful lot. Is that normal?

My system is entirely local with stored copies of all files in ...\zotero\storage which has a total size of 2.35 GB. So zotero.sqlite is 6.4% of the entire storage. Is that normal?

So far, none of this is a problem, but I'd like to know whether I should break it into smaller pieces as it gets bigger. Is there a maximum size for zotero.sqlite - apart from disk space?
  • The size is mostly a result of the full-text index — you can adjust that in the Search pane of the preferences if the space is a problem and you don't need to search the full text of all your attachments. There's no maximum size. A future version will likely use a different approach to full-text indexing that is a bit more space-efficient.
  • OK, got it, thank you.

Clearing the index reduces zotero.sqlite from 150 MB to 10 MB. I rarely do full text searches and, if necessary, I can do them outside Zotero.

Clearing the index also gets rid of the .zotero-ft-cache files which, I gather, are part of indexing for pdfs.