How to remove pages from first time citation?

AuthorX, Title, year... Pages 122-170.

I am citing in footnotes and I want first time source with full source with single pagenumber but not with the page overall page number. I only want the total page number in my bibliography.

However as i am editing currently with notepad++, i can't find the code line.

I just find these variables "pages" "page" "citation-locator". can somebody pls help quick and look over it? i can stream it via discord. it should be super simple, but me as a coding beginner can't see it :/
  • Which style are you using? then we can help.
  • Hey thanks for reply, but it caused too many problems, so i am back on this again:

"universitat-zu-koln-seminar-fur-abwl-und-finanzierungslehre"

btw. do you know why et. al doesn't work? it has the line

citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true"

and it still shows e.g. Baron/Farmer/Dogila/Brunner (2014)

if i remove this : disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true", i get
    Baron, A.M. et al. (2014)

optimally i would like to have: Baron et al. (2014)

How can i do that?
  • That style doesn't have et al. in the citation, not sure why you'd think that:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/universitat-zu-koln-seminar-fur-abwl-und-finanzierungslehre.csl#L103

If you're using a different or modified version of the style, we'd have to see that to say more.
  • oh maybe i modded it. but it still doesn't work :/

How do I add this to the code?

Also i noticed that in my bibliography it only shows the volume and not the issue(y):
    it's like this:
    Brown, Stephen J. und Warner, Jerold B. (1985): Using daily stock returns, in: Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 14, S. 3–31.

but should be like this:
    Brown, Stephen J. und Warner, Jerold B. (1985): Using daily stock returns, in: Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 14(Y), S. 3–31.

Can you tell me what lines of code i need to add to 1. make et. al. work and 2. add the issue after volume? :o
  • Since you seem to have modified the original code quite a bit we would need to see your full style. Please upload to PasteBin/Hastebin etc. and post a link here.
  • edited December 25, 2020
    https://pastebin.com/7yNNHPhU

I use this currently

it should be the original. I tried editing but went back to the standard
  • et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" in the citation line should work unless other parts of the style have been changed. Test in the Zotero style editor rather than using a document.

For issue, l. 143-146 should be something like
    <group>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <label text-case="capitalize-first" variable="volume" form="short"/>
    <text variable="volume"/>
    </group>
    <text variable="issue" prefix="(" suffix=")"/>
    </group>
    thank you so much. i didn't know i can try it out with the editor. so much easier than with the full 100 pages document.

I got it working for volume but the other thing doesn't seem to work

start citation disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" end
    start citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" end
    start layout delimiter="; " suffix="." end
    start(<) end(>)
  • No, that'd be on the same line:
    <citation disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" >
  • i think i got it
    tell me how you make this table :D

start citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-givenname="true" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year" end (it's now in one line)

I have this now, it kinda works. i really don't know what disambiguate means or collapse though.

Also somehow it shows in german "u.a." so i need to find that and change it to "et al." again. But i found it 2 hours ago
  • <code> tags in HTML for code here.

collapse=year means (Smith 1776, 1791) rather than (Smith 1776, Smith 1791)
    disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" means (Smith 1776a, 1776b)

Different et al terms are set in the locale/terms section of the style, see e.g. https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/apa.csl#L89 for an example
    yeeeeeey i am learning how to code hahahaha

I added this line
    <term name="et-al">et&#8239;al.</term>

it works now
    maybe last question (not that important but)

how can I make the journals in my bibliography bold? something like this right?
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic"/>

but do i need to define italic somewhere first? because it doesn't seem to be that easy
    ok, got that done aswell :D

thanks for your help!!!!
  • Hi @lexusalex ,

I am writing my master thesis at the university of cologne as well and want to use the "universitat-zu-koln-seminar-fur-abwl-und-finanzierungslehre". Unfortunately the one I am using is in German and differs in a few ways from how I want to cite.

Is there any chance you have an updated file with your changes already made?

Any help is much appreciated!

Sonst auch gern auf deutsch ^^
  • edited March 30, 2021
    @adamsmith @damnation maybe you could help me as well. I posted a similar citations request based on the "universitat-zu-koln-seminar-fur-abwl-und-finanzierungslehre" here:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/88747/new-citation-style-for-university-of-cologne?new=1

Im willing to try to adjust the code you discussed over here, but I would need some guidance for that.

In any case, many many thanks in advance!