Citations not appearing in word document

edited December 24, 2020
Hello,

I have a very strange problem. I have two long word documents open, both full of zotero citations, which I put in using the word plugin. Last night, I found when I clicked in the document I was working on to try to inset a new citation, it didn't appear. When I tried clicking on add citation a second time, the reference had been remembered by the add citation box, but still didn't appear in the document.

When I was about to give up, I noticed that this reference had appeared in my other document! I was able to copy the footnote over (which I hope will number correctly when I finally dare to click refresh citations), but it's a bit of a nuisance. I've tried again and again, making doubly sure I'm clicked in the correct document before clicking add citation, but the reference consistently appears in the wrong document.

I thought after a restart it would work properly today, but the same problem is still here.
Does anyone have any ideas how I could sort this out? I've very nearly finished these very long documents, so am reluctant to do anything that could make me lose all my references!

Thank you!
  • You're saying you have two Word documents open and clicking Add/Edit Citation is inserting the citation into the background document rather than the one in the foreground? And this still happens after restarting your computer?

I don't recall ever hearing of this happening.

What OS and exact Word version?
  • Yes that's right. It's bizarre!
    I have windows 10 and Word version 2011 (Build 13426.20332 Click-to-run)
  • @adomasven might have an idea, but can we see a Debug ID for this happening?
  • Thank you
    D691339405

I'm not sure if this would have recorded anything useful, as I didn't really 'do' anything - but hopefully this will help. I'm happy to record a video of the problem if not
  • Oh, this is a document in OneDrive?

Does it happen with two local documents?

Also, if you look at the debug output, is the document referenced in the first line (beginning with "Integration: WinWord-addEditCitation:") the correct document or the incorrect one?
  • Yes; might that be a problem? I'll see if the same happens with local docs.

As for your second question, I'm not sure. The document I'm trying to insert the citation into is called 'Short report (working document)', while the document it appears in is called 'Long report (working document)'. Imaginative names...
  • edited December 24, 2020
    "Short report" is listed in the output, yes.

OneDrive is almost certainly the problem here. It causes lots of weird issues. We can see if we can reproduce this, but I'm not sure if we can do anything about it.
  • Don't worry! I've just tried replicating it in two brand new unsaved documents with no luck, but will try later to resave my report to a local folder. It takes quite a time to open, so I'll do that once I've finished for the day