Accidentally lost my Zotero files from my computer

Please help.
I had some problems with the memory of my computer which was running up so I decided to move my Zotero folder from drive C using cut and paste to drive E which had a lot of space. However, in the process, I lost my files. When I tried to undo the process, I still couldn't find my files and now I am so confused. When I open Zotero app now, the library is empty but in Microsoft word, I can still see the cited references. What can I do to have my files back in Zotero
  • Let us know these things:

- The current location of your Zotero data directory in the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences

- The names, sizes, and dates of all files beginning with “zotero.sqlite” in your current data directory, as well as any other copies of the folder you have

- Whether there's a 'storage' folder in there containing subfolders with dates corresponding to your previous usage of Zotero
  • My Zotero data directory is in PC/C/Users
    I have the following files beginning with 'zotero.sqlite' in my current zotero directory

1. zotero.sqlite date 12/24/2020 size 948
    2. zotero.sqlite.1bak date 12/21/2020 size 9276
    3. zotero.sqlite.bak date 12/23/2020 size 9396

Yes, there is a storage folder in my Zotero data directory but it does not contain any subfolders
  • edited December 24, 2020
    1) Make a backup of all those files.

2) zotero.sqlite is an empty database (~1 MB). The other ones would be your real database. Remove zotero.sqlite and replace it with a copy of zotero.sqlite.bak.

3) If your 'storage' folder is empty, you wouldn't have any attachment files. If you've added attachments, you'd have to find your original 'storage' folder.
  • Thank you so much. I have managed to restore the files by following your instruction number 2. Now that I think of it, I do not have any attachments in Zotero that is probably why my storage folder is empty. How can I do the backup? And secondly, if I want to move Zotero from drive C to drive E, what can I do? This is because I no longer have space in Drive C but I do have a lot of space in Drive E.
  • edited December 24, 2020
    How can I do the backup?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_data
    if I want to move Zotero from drive C to drive E, what can I do?
    Close Zotero, copy the "Zotero" folder to the other drive, restart Zotero, set the data directory in the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences, restart Zotero when prompted, make sure it's using the new location, and then delete the old folder. Restart Zotero to make sure everything still works.