Choose option/Cancel Sync

I am being asked to resolve conflicts by choosing between Remote Item and Merged Item from a group library. Other members of the group and I are both deduplicating records, is this maybe a result of our both merging the same item in between syncs? I'm not confident in choosing, nor do I really understand what is happening when I click on the various panels (I show three panels: "local item," "remote item", and "merged item." Local Item shows it is deleted, remote item is populated and selected, and merged item is populated but not chosen. If I click on local item, it still shows it is deleted but it then ALSO shows that the merged item is deleted). To date I've opted to "cancel sync" to avoid causing any permanent damage, but I need to sync the library as soon as possible.

Any advice much appreciated!
Kelly

Zotero 5.0.93
MacOS 10.15.7
  • Yes, this is likely due to two people modifying the same item in some way.

The panels mean:
    local: what's currently in your local Zotero library
    remote: what's currently on the server (i.e. likely what your collaborator left it with)
    merged: what would end up both locally and on the server given your choice.

You can pick between the local and the remote version and the merged version then changes accordingly.

There's no blanket rule about what's right in this cases. If you want to delete that item, choose local. If deleting it may have been a mistake, choose remote.
  • Awesome, thanks Adam!