Renewel notice not recieved, data gone

edited December 17, 2020
I did not receive a renewal notice from Zotero and subsequently they downgraded my storage and I lost hundreds of entries. I emailed them and the email came back as the address is no good. Any suggestions how to reach someone there?
  • 1) This sounds like a misunderstanding: downgrading storage wouldn't lose you anything as a) it'd only remove attachments and b) those would still be on your local machine; they're only removed from Zotero's servers

2) What email did you use? storage@zotero.org would be the right one, but posting here is also found
  • I used storage@zotero.org (see below).

I am not sure what has happened but none of my folders for the book I published in 2018 is there. They are not on my computers either.

Mail Delivery Subsystem

Fri, 4 Dec, 11:05 (13 days ago)

to me
    This message has been deleted. Restore message
    Error Icon
    Delivery incomplete
    There was a temporary problem while delivering your message to storage@zotera.org. Gmail will retry for 22 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.
    LEARN MORE
    The response was:

The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720 [zotera.org 69.162.80.57: timed out]
  • You misspelled the email address as ‘zotera’ with an a instead of an o
  • And paid storage is 100% unrelated to entire collections going missing. Downgrading means removing server-side copies of attachments. It _never_ deletes Zotero items. Something else caused that.

Did you check whether you can still find items from those collections? They may have gotten moved or you may have accidentally moved the collections but not the item.
  • bwiernik thanks! Duh!
  • @akikwe: This doesn't have anything to do with a storage subscription, so we're going to respond here.

If you don't see data you had previously in the online library, you either deleted it or you never synced that data from the computer where you added it.

If you do see the data in the online library, you haven't synced the computer you're using now.

See Changes Not Syncing for details.
  • edited December 17, 2020
    Thanks for your comments.
    I checked the library, so much is missing. I wouldn't delete years of research. I don't know where else to check. I looked in all the folders, did a search...They were in the online library as I use several computers...
  • This sounds like you didn't sync your account from your old computer. Do you have a back-up of that?
  • I always entered the data online, I use two different computers plus a student uses a separate one. The data always showed up in the online library no matter what computer. The laptop I am using now just had a factory reset and was clones so all the files are back on it. When I load Zotero it is not showing any files at all on the computer. My work computer is showing the same thing, no files. Perhaps I am not doing something right. What is the name of the file that would on the computers? I did sync regularly every time I did data entry.
  • Are you saying your online library is correct?

If so, you just need to sync. If you're not seeing something locally, see Changes Not Syncing.

If you're still having trouble, take a screenshot that shows what you're describing, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here or via email to support@zotero.org.
    I found them in the online library. Whew.
  • To be clear, you can and should have the same data everywhere. You just need to be syncing properly.