Weird duplicate error when merging word docs

Lately I've noticed that when I try to merge two documents together, the references will duplicate in-text. The oddest thing is that when I check the duplicate citations, they're linked to seemingly separate library entries - with the exact same metadata.

Same library entry, no library duplicates nor shared across libraries, and both with citations that I added. This seems like a new issue since I don't recall ever dealing with this before. Used Windows 10, Word 365 (v.2011), Zotero (5.0.93).

Any suggestions? Looks like I'm stuck manually editing...
  • What exactly do you mean by "will duplicate in-text"? Can you provide an example?
    when I check the duplicate citations, they're linked to seemingly separate library entries - with the exact same metadata
    What do you mean by this? How are you checking, and how are you determining they're linked to separate library entries?
  • For any identical references (linked to the same library entry) across the two documents, they would add as unique references in the merged file.

I can see it in the bibliography that the references aren't merging despite updating/refreshing everything.
  • You seem to be saying conflicting things here.

You said above they were linked to separate library entries. Now you're saying they're linked to the same library entry.

You didn't answer my question of how you're determining what they're linked to.

If all you mean is that you're seeing separate bibliography entries, the items are either linked to separate items in your library or some of the citations are orphaned and no longer connected to any items in your library. See Given Name Disambiguation for the various reasons that could happen and how to check. The most likely reasons are that one of the documents was linked to another Zotero library or it was linked to items that you've since deleted rather than using merging.

You'll need to reinsert any items that are no longer linked to your library, being sure to select from your library rather than the "Cited" section in the search results.