Search Returns No Result When Title Includes Hyphen

Hello,

I was trying to search an article in my library, the title includes a hyphen (-) and the searching returns no result. For instance, 'High‐resolution GRACE monthly spherical harmonic solutions'. I am sure there is such an article in my library.

When I remove the hyphen then the article can be found correctly.

Maybe this is a bug? Anyone else has the same experience?

Best,
Yu
  • It's the difference between the "hyphen" and the "hyphen-minus" characters. You're typing the latter (the minus key on your keyboard). That won't find an actual Unicode "hyphen", which is technically more correct but, due to its being very hard to manually enter for most people, almost never used. They look identical. You'd really only end up with a "hyphen" when importing data from a source that went out of its way to use that rarer character.

Perhaps Zotero should find either when you type hyphen-minus, and a future version might do so, but note that even browsers won't do that. If you search with the hyphen-minus on this page (at least in Firefox, Chrome, or Safari), you'll find only the one you entered, not the one in the title you pasted.

For now the best you can do is search for other words in the title.
  • @dstilman You are right, thanks for your kind explanation.