Impossible to install zotero plugin for libreoffice

Good evening,

I'm struggling since a lot of time with the zotero connector for LibreOffice.
- First I tried to find a download link for the plugin on zotero website (found nothing)
- Then I search on the plugin store of libreoffice and found it here: https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/extensions/show/zotero-libreoffice-integration
but it redirected me on the zotero website and again I couldn't found the download link.
- Finally I checked the documentation here:
https://www.zotero.org/support/fr/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation
That specify that in order to install the plugin I need to go to "extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/install" in my zotero directory. But again I wasn't able to find this installer in my zotero directory...

Have you any idea on how can I obtain this plugin?

Thanks
  • First I tried to find a download link for the plugin on zotero website (found nothing)
    There's no download link. The plugin is bundled with Zotero, as noted on Word Processor Plugin Installation. It's installed automatically when you first start Zotero if you have LibreOffice in a standard location, and you can reinstall it later from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences.

If and only if that doesn't work, you'd want to follow the manual installation instructions.
    But again I wasn't able to find this installer in my zotero directory...
    Where exactly did you look? To be clear, you need to look in the folder where Zotero's program files are installed, not the Zotero data directory.
  • Well, I saw the plugin in the zotero app in tool and it's activated, but when I go in Libreoffice I can't find zotero. To verify I even went to the options of the toolbar to see if zotero was deactivated but no option were available (so I supposed it's not properly installed)

That's why I tried the manual installation... :/

I wasn't able to understand where zotero is really installed. I'm on linux, so I verified the folder ".Zotero" in my /home directory but I wasn't able to locate any "extension" folder as explained in the documentation.
    I wasn't able to locate zotero in another place on my hard drive, and have even tried to research "zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org" with my file manager but without success.

So I am not sure where am I supposed to look?...
  • Again, the first thing you should try is going to the Zotero preferences and reinstalling from there. Only if that gives you an error do you need to worry about manual installation.
    I verified the folder ".Zotero" in my /home directory
    If you mean "~/.zotero", that's where your profile directory is, and "~/Zotero" would be your Zotero data directory — neither of those are related to where Zotero is installed. On Linux, your install directory is something you would have to know for yourself. We only provide support for the tarball from this site, which would be wherever you extracted it.
  • Ok thank you very much!
    Now it works. The option was just a bit hidden...

I don't know why but in tool -> extension in zotero the Libreoffice plugin was apparently installed but when I installed it from the preferences, it wasn't installed previously...
    Probably a bug...

Well It works now. Again thanks a lot!!!
  • edited December 14, 2020
    It's not a bug — one is the integration support in Zotero itself (which is bundled with Zotero but shows up as an add-on for historical reasons) and the other is the plugin for your word processor, which Zotero tries to install automatically at first run. There are various reasons why the plugin wouldn't get installed into your word processor when you first start Zotero, including not having the word processor installed at the time, having it in a directory where Zotero doesn't look, having security software that interferes, not having an appropriate Java version installed for LibreOffice, etc.

Trying to reinstall the plugin from the Cite pane of the preferences is the first thing we say to try in the troubleshooting instructions for when the Zotero toolbar doesn't appear in your word processor.