Linked Attachment Base Directory fails to update links

I just got a new computer and reinstalled and synced Zotero on my new system.

The linked attachment base directory on Machine A (old) is set as C:\Users\username1\Google Drive\ZOTERO

The linked attachment base directory on Machine B (new) is set as C:\Users\username2\Google Drive\ZOTERO

As far as I can tell, Google Drive and Zotero are each successfully synced on both machines.

On my new Machine B, the links are still opening up to C:\Users\username1\Google Drive\ZOTERO (local configuration on Machine A).

What am I doing wrong? Is the problem that the usernames aren't identical on both machines? (If so, how do I change it?)
Many thanks!
  • The settings sound exactly right. Did you send up the linked attachment directory on Machine A recently or has it been a while?

Could you provide a debug ID for opening one such file in Zotero on Machine B:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output

(FWIW, worst case you can use Zutilo to adjust the links in bulk, but this should really work as you describe it, so I'd recommend trying to figure out what's going wrong first)
  • @trmarvin: If it's saying "username1" on the "username2" computer, the paths are still stored as absolute paths. That would only happen if you didn't set the base directory correctly on the other computer or you haven't synced both computers since doing so.
  • Thank you for the quick replies. I tried giving the computers more time to sync, but I am still getting the error.

Debug ID: D982798185

It is still saying username1 on the username2 computer. I can fix the problem with Zutilo, but am still interested in figuring this out, for future use.
  • Our server logs show most of your attachments as having been updated a few hours ago. Most should work, as long as Google Drive is syncing.

If you have any that still aren't working, it would mean they're not within the base directory that you set. If you think that's not the case, we'd want to see 1) a Debug ID for opening the file on the computer where it works, 2) a Debug ID for opening the file on the computer where it doesn't, and 3) the actual base directory locations on each computer (which you can send via email with a link to this thread if you prefer).
  • Thanks for the continued assistance. I'm glad to know that the settings should be correct, so that I can keep the links relative going forward. I am not completely sure whether the sync simply took a long time (my old computer is on its last legs) or whether Zutilo fixed the problem, but I am up and running again. Thanks very much.