moving items between subcollections

I am using the Zotero.org web library and trying to move items from one subcollection to another. I am using a mac and have tried chrome, firefox and safari web browsers. Holding Command while dragging doesnt seem to move the files. I can only copy them and then remove the original.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
  • edited December 8, 2020
    That's true, this is a limitation in the Web Library which we are planning to address, however there are some technical challenges we need to overcome first.

That being said, this works as expected in Zotero (desktop app) which we always recommend for any serious/day-to-day work.
  • Hi, I am having the same issue on the desktop version as well as the web version. I am have tried dragging an item from a folder to a subfolder, using Command, but I still have the original item in the parent folder as well as the subfolder. If I delete the item from the parent folder, it also disappears from the subfolder folder. I am using a Mac with Big Sur 11.1 and Zotero 5.0.95.
    Thanks for any updates
  • edited January 26, 2021
    @KarenGriscom: Command-drag definitely works. Make sure you don't have "Show Items from Subcollections" enabled in the View menu, which would cause the item to still show up in the parent collection.
    If I delete the item from the parent folder, it also disappears from the subfolder folder.
    You only have one copy of the item in your library. If you move it to the trash, it'll disappear from all collections. If you just remove it from a collection, that won't affect any other collections.