Help, my bibliography is NOT formatting in Turabian 8th even though I have it set for that

My bibliography keeps pasting in another format. I cannot figure out why it suddenly stopped pasting in Turabian 8th. Anyone?
  • Where exactly are you selecting the style, how exactly are you generating the bibliography, and what's some example output?
  • Make sure you're setting the style in the Document Preferences, not in the Zotero preferences under Cite (what you have selected there doesn't matter for anything).
    If you have Turabian 8th edition selected in the preferences, could you paste a bibliography entry as you see it here (don't worry about italics)
  • Okay, I'll double check. I've never had this issue before in my paper. Thank you.
  • Both are set on Turabian 8th.
  • This is what it is doing:

Chisale, Sinenhlanhla S. 2018. “Domestic Abuse in Marriage and Self-Silencing: Pastoral Care in a Context of Self-Silencing.” Hervormde Teologiese Studies; Pretoria 74 (2).

Clifton, Shane. 2018. “Spirit, Submission, Power, and Abuse: A Response to Teaching on Female Submission and the Scourge of Domestic Violence.” St Mark’s Review, no. 243: 72–86.

This is not Turabian 8th. Both my document and my Zotero app are set to Turabian 8th.
  • What's the exact name of the style you have selected in the Document preferences? This looks like an author-date variant of Turabian, I'm assuming you want the notes one?
  • On both the document and in the app, I've selected "Turabian 8th edition (full note)."
  • Try re-installing the style from https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:turabian-fullnote-bibliography

Then change to a completely different style (any other style will do), make sure that the change actually takes, and then back to Turabian 8
  • To be clear, though, there's no selecting a style "in the app" if you're using the word processor plugin. The only selection that matters is in the plugin's Document Preferences window.
  • Well, up at the top where it says "Zotero," I click on preferences. "Styles" is the first thing to pop up, and that's where I've always selected the most up-to-date Turabian style. I've never had to set it on docs, but since Adam suggested it, I checked to make sure that was the case, also. I will try reinstalling from that link Adam provided.
  • edited December 4, 2020
    No, as I say, that's not where you select a style, and never has been. You're misremembering this. That's where you install or uninstall styles. Just clicking on styles in that list does nothing and never has.

You select a style in the plugin's Document Preferences window in your word processor.
  • Okay, let me see if I can do that. Any reason why it would suddenly change? I've been using Turabian for years, though only Zotero for 2.5 years.
  • Nothing changed. Zotero simply defaults to the last style you used in the word processor plugin.
  • Okay, so I'm using Word. At the top where I click on Zotero to add citations, it has a place to choose doc preferences. The Zotero tab at the top is the only way I know to access preferences. Is there another way to get to this?
  • That's how you access the document preferences. That's how you choose a style. (It also shows that window when you first use Zotero in a new document.)
  • It says Turabian 8th full note. I've only used Turabian since 2016.
  • I see they've added Turabian 9th. I'm going to see if that works out for me. I'll let y'all know!
    If you change to another style, like Chicago full note, do your citations actually change?
  • When I start a new document, click on Zotero at the top, and click on document preferences, nothing at all pops up.
  • Restart Zotero and try again in a new document.

But note that in a new document you can just click Add/Edit Citation to start. It will show you the document preferences window automatically.
  • It doesn't change the bibliography it's already giving me when I change formats. I quit zotero and restarted. I started a new doc and it did the same bibliography it's been giving me.
    If it's not actually changing your bibliography when you change styles, you don't have an active Zotero bibliography — it might have been flattened into plain text if you or someone else saved the document in the wrong format. See Existing Citations Not Detected. Note that the same might apply to citations in the document. That page explains how to check if you have active Zotero citations by toggling Word field codes.

If you have active citations but not an active bibliography, delete the bibliography from the document and insert it again.
    I started a new doc and it did the same bibliography it's been giving me.
    Can you generate a Debug ID for starting a document, inserting a citation, generating a bibliography, and getting the wrong format? A second one for a totally different style — e.g., APA — would also be helpful.
  • If I delete Zotero and reinstall it, will I lose my library and collections? Nothing else is working to solve the issue.
  • That isn’t likely to help. Please do the things dstillman said immediately above.
  • Okay, I think I submitted the debug thing. I could not specify what the issues were. I submitted the errors that were already listed and I checked the boxes for debug output logging.
  • You'd need to post the debug ID here -- Zotero gets thousands of debug outputs per day. They only look at the ones that are specifically mentioned here.

But also -- see the first part: you'll really want to check if you have active citations in the document in question. If you don't, the whole question of updating them is moot.
  • By George, you've solved it! The good news is that you're right, it was failing to format the bibliography correctly because there were no citations. (I had to submit a reading list of books I completed this term, so I only needed the bibliography). However, my citations are coming up in Calibri rather than Times New Roman, so I've got to figure that out...and they aren't indenting/spacing properly. I'll check the forum to see what I can find out on that. Thanks, Adam and dstillman!
  • It sounds like you are manually styling your text rather than using Word styles. Change the “Normal” style in Word to match the formatting you want.
  • I am using Turabian 8th edition. My footnotes are ok. But in bibliography, author's name is not reversed.
    Raymond E. Brown, The Churches the Apostles Left Behind (New York: Paulist Press, 1984), 118–120.
    Raymond E. Brown. The Churches the Apostles Left Behind. New York: Paulist Press, 1984.