Citing one volume of a multivolume work in chicago

Hello,
Please tell where/how can I write/add the name of a particular volume of a multivolume work in zotero in the Item pane.

Of course I can write the name of the complete series, but if it is volume 2 of a 4 volume work, how does one know the difference between the name of the complete 4-volume work and the particular name of the 2nd-volume, when one sees the bibliography.

I use Chicago 17th edition (full note, short title subsequent).

Usually the format for "Multivolume Work (Citing Only One Volume)" is:

Bibliography
Author's Last Name, Author's First Name. Title of Multivolume Work. Vol. Volume Number, Title of Volume. Place of Publication: Name of Publisher, Year of Publication.

Churchill, Winston S. A History of the English-Speaking Peoples. Vol. 1, The Birth of Britain. New York: Dodd, Mead, 1956.

Footnote
First Note:
39. Winston S. Churchill, A History of the English-Speaking Peoples, vol. 1, The Birth of Britain (New York: Dodd, Mead, 1956), 88.

Shortened Form:
40. Churchill, History, 1:88.

Please help.
Gaurav
  • edited November 29, 2020
    Because there is only one slot for the book title and no slot for writing the title of the particular volume.

Please tell how to mention both, title of the whole volume and of that particular volume, so one can make out the difference between the two, when one sees the footnote or the bibliography
  • I am still waiting for your reply.
  • Could anyone please look into this?
  • Currently, there's no ofgicial support for this in Zotero, but CSL 1.0.2 which will be released soon will add this. If you need it now, you can use the Zotero variant Juris-M where this feature already exists. Or you can just add it to the extra field like so
    volume-title: whatever.
    The standard styles won't pick that up at the moment, but this info will most likely be used for the new field as soon as it becomes available? (@dstillman is that correct?)
  • Hi,

Is it now possible to cite one volume of a multivolume work in chicago format in Zotero?

Thanks
    Gaurav
  • I have the same question.
  • Hi, I had the same issue and was able to tweak the CMOS Full note, short title subsequent to get it to do what we want it to do. I will try to post it to the CSL library so I can share the code. I'm not a coder by any means, so I don't claim to have done it absolutely correctly, but I think I got it to work.