.txt uploads/Zotfile

Hey there -

I am working with some exported database .txt files and am wanting to import citation data to Zotero, while also depositing full-text pdfs to a folder using Zotfile. I THINK I followed directions when setting up Zotfile correctly, but the pdfs are not landing anywhere (including in my standalone). It is also no longer attaching pdfs when I use the browser plug-in for individual records, as it was yesterday.

So my thinking is that some combination of these is happening: I've set Zotfile preferences incorrectly; I've changed a setting such that Zotero no longer downloads pdfs along with records (via browser plug-in or otherwise); pdfs aren't being exported along with the .txt files; the pdfs are lost in the cosmos someplace.

Additional info:
In Zotfile preferences, I indicated a newly created desktop folder as "Source folder for attaching new files." Under "Location of Files" I tried both leaving the default option toggled (Attach stored copy of file(s)), as well as Custom Location: newly created desktop folder - neither showed any difference.

I did not change any Zotero preferences, but in General Preferences under File Handling, all boxes are checked, including the "Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving items."
Under Advanced Files and Folders settings, Linked Attachment Base Directory has nothing entered, and Data Directory Location is toggled with "Default (/users/kaj98/Zotero)"

If anyone has advice I'd be most grateful!

Best wishes, warmest regards,
Kelly

MacOS 10.15.7
Zotero 5.0.93