Parentheses turn into brackets in Oxford University press (note) style

Hello everyone,

I am using the Oxford University press (note) style and am encountering a problem: when I create a bibliography at the end of the document, some references come out in the following (correct) form, with round parentheses:

Grendler, Paul F. Schooling in Renaissance Italy: Literacy and Learning, 1300-1600 (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1989).

Others come out with square brackets, like the following:

Carter, Tim, and Richard Goldthwaite. Orpheus in the Marketplace: Jacopo Peri and the Economy of Late Renaissance Florence [Cambridge (Mass): Harvard University Press, 2013].

I can't spot a reason why zotero does this: any idea on how to correct it?

Thank you!
  • It's the parentheses around (Mass:) -- nested parentheses are auto-converted by the citation style. I think this is in the wrong direction (the inner ones should turn to [Mass]) but the principle seems right.
  • edited November 26, 2020
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm afraid that the problem is not only with nested parentheses. I also gets lines such as this:

Wagner, Roi. Making and Breaking Mathematical Sense: Histories and Philosophies of Mathematical Practice [Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2017].

I am working with word and I have divided the document into several sections. Is it possible that the division into sections conflicts with Zotero?
  • Sections shouldn't matter. There are no parentheses anywhere around the citation in question?
  • Thank you for the reply, and sorry for being a bit late.

Yep: there are no other parentheses around the citation. I can upload a pdf of what I get if you think that could be useful.

I have noticed, though, that the title after which round parentheses turn into square brackets has a round parenthesis that is 'opened', but not 'closed':

... [all titles with round parentheses]
    Hoskin, Keith, Debin Ma, and Richard Macve. ‘A Genealogy of Myths About the Rationality of Accounting in the West and in the East’. SSRN Electronic Journal, (2013. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2389309. [here the round parenthesis is opened but not closed]

Howson, A. G. A History of Mathematics Education in England [Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1982].

... [all titles with square brackets]

And this continues until the opposite happens: a square bracket is 'opened' but not 'closed':

Yamey, Basil. ‘The Functional Development of Double-Entry Bookkeeping’. The Accountant, [1940, 333–342. [here the square bracket is 'opened' but not 'closed']

Yeldham, Florence A. The Story of Reckoning in the Middle Ages (London: G.G. Harrap & Company Limited, 1926).

Do you think this could be a clue as to why Zotero does this?

Many many thanks!
  • yeah, I'm sure the opening parentheses are the problem. They also look like typos?
  • I've realised that the two references where zotero messes up were both in the category Journal articles, and were both missing a value either for the Volume or the Issue. So I guess there must be a bug in the Oxford University press (note) style when these fields are empty

Does this sound reasonable?
  • Also, is there a way to tell zotero to avoid displaying the doi identification and urls of resources?

Thank you very much!
  • we can definitely take a look at the parentheses in the style.

It's certainly possible technically to omit DOI/URL but not sure that'd be correct for the style in question, especially the DOI. For the URL, make sure the "include URL" checkbox is off in the Style-->Cite tab of the preferences
  • Great thank you!

How would I know if the style was updated? Should I delete it and download it again to update it?
  • I'll post here and you can then simply re-install to update (or just wait), no need to delete.
  • Fantastic, thank you!
  • The parenthesis issue is now fixed, the style has likely already updated in your Zotero.
  • This is truly wonderful: thank you very much!