False error report after refresh - 163149263

2»
  • I though I did that extensively on 4 and 6 December! I sent you a detailed report of the tests I did, the documents I used and the full debug files. I don't know what else I can do?
  • The Zotero Beta includes more detailed error reporting for the Word plugin, which is why we need another report ID. I cannot reproduce the errors that you were seeing on my machine.
  • OK. The new Report ID is 1098910098.

I did three tests using today's version of the thesis, which had no bibliography because yesterday's version failed to insert one (and deleted what was there).

Test 15. Was on the MacOS with the Beta version of Zotero. It ran 26 minutes (which is quite quick(!) and successfully inserted a bibliography, but produced an error message "error updating your document" anyway. These are the same symptoms as I originally reported. Debug ID is D1227565941.

Test 16. For comparison I ran exactly the same test on my new Windows 10 partition, after upgrading Zotero on that environment to the latest Beta (windows version obviously). This one failed immediately with a message from Microsoft Visual Basic saying the command is not available because no document is open. Weird. See Debug ID D1345985884.

Test 17. On a hunch I tried Test 16 again with read-write permissions on the WORD file. The hunch was right. This time it ran for about 1 minute and inserted a bibliography without any error message. I thought you might like to see this for comparison. It seems to confirm that the document itself is OK. Debug ID D969019281.
  • Test 18. Got the bit between my teeth now. Went back to yesterday's version of the thesis (201214) because that had failed to insert a bibliography at all. I was able to reproduce the failure on MacOS. It gave the usual error message "there is an error..." and no bibliography, not even one that needs refreshing. Debug ID D1504562246.

Test 19, I did exactly the same test on Windows 10. There it ran OK, inserted a bibliography, gave no error message and only took 1 minute to do it (compared with 26 minutes under MacOS). Debug ID D872017367.

It now seems clear that the problem has to do with the MacOS environment. I hope you can find something useful by comparing the identical tests on both environments.

It is a comfort to me that I now have a method of updating my bibliography, so I will not have to submit for the end of year review without one. It's nice that it runs quickly too, but I still have to download the file by hand from iCloud because the iCloud for Windows software does not work. That is luckily not your problem (!) but I would certainly appreciate it if you can fix the MacOS version and will be the first to install the update!

Cheers :-)
  • Thanks for the detailed testing. I am 100% certain this is a Word for Mac bug, but there's no need for debug logs from Windows, they cannot be used to troubleshoot the Mac plugin. The Test 15 is actually showing a different kind of error that I might be able to reproduce locally. Could you send the file you tested with to support@zotero.org?