Editing existing bibliography

Hi. What is the best way to edit the bibliography? When I click in my biblio, it is all highlighted in gray. I select edit bibliography from the toolbar, and it opens up the edit bibliography viewing pane (can now see all of my references in the library). I select the citation I want to edit, and it doesn't do anything, it just closes the viewing pane and take me back to my document.

In a related question, how do I manually add a citation to my biblio when I realize it isn't there? For example, in the case where I add the in-text citation manually like (Smith et al., date), but now want to add Smith to the biblio manually (Smith is in the library, but I was just lazy or for whatever reason, didn't use Zotero to add the in-text citation).
  • In what way are you trying to edit the bibliography? Generally speaking, you shouldn't be editing it at all. If something's wrong, you should fix the data in Zotero.
    how do I manually add a citation to my biblio when I realize it isn't there?
    You should replace the in-text citation you wrote by hand with one inserted by Zotero. Don't create citations manually if you're using Zotero — the whole point is that it generates a bibliography for you based on the citations in the document.

(It's possible to add items to the bibliography that you didn't cite in the document, but that's very rarely used, and not a replacement for just inserting citations properly.)