Sudden errors in bibliographic layout

Hi...I really like Zotero and use it a lot (on vista with Word 2007)...but now I found a bug in it. I'm using it with the style "advanced engeneering materials", since this one is similar to "angewandte chemie" (wich is still missing in the programm ;) ).

Anyway, I wanted to add the bibliography to my work (~70 citations) and it worked fine...on the first page of the bibliography. the second page of it showed mistakes...the first number of the year was not bold and the first number of the volume was not italic...I updated it and also the plug-in for word...no changes...did any body else recognize it?
  • There's no reason the style could be written in a way to do this. You may be seeing this issue:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2890/bibliography-italics-problem/
    which will occur for particular citations (not necessarily particular pages).
  • Had a closer look now...the error occurs after a special citation...it did not depend on certain letters but on the format of the citations entry in zotero.

(don't know the english words for it now...)
    If this Citation is stored as "part of a book" the error occurs, if I store it as "book" it works fine.

tried it several times now, also changed the citation back to "part of a book" but now it works...maybe the entry was broken.
  • I have a small bug with the style "advanced engeneering materials" as well, that I just discovered to replace my own fake/self-made Angewandte Chemie style :

on Word 2007, the citation number within the text is not written correctly as the first bracket is on the baseline and the rest (ie 1] ) is written as exposent (as it should be fo the whole thing).

I get the same trouble with my self-made style. Is there any reason for this trouble ?

anyway, a big thank you for the great evolution last 'academic' year. I'm sure the Zotero storage system will be a big success, and I wish all the best to your development team.
  • I believe I just fixed that

prefix="[" suffix="]" delimiter=", "
    should not go in the layout line, but in the <text variable="citation-number" .. /> line

I've checked in the corrected style, hopefully available soon.
  • Thanks for the correction, it looks pretty nice now...
    except another small problem...
    if you cite two articles (as multiple citations), the citation number are presented as followed in the text:
    [1][2]
    starting to 3 citations in a row, the reduced form appears, ie [1-3]. I don't think this is normal, but I may be wrong as I don't know the "advanced engeneering materials" original style.

Sorry for these details, but I'm sure as soon as this Angewandte-like style will be perfect, all the chemist community will stop complaining...
  • Mist!
    and I thought I had it fixed. I don't think it's possible. It's either the wrong alignment or the mistake with the two separate sets of brackets. I think this one is going to be the lesser of the two evils and I'll leave it at that.
  • yes seems to a be a general problem with brackets...but thx for your help anyway :)

I removed the superscript version from the old style, so that it works with delimiters and will superscript it if inserting the citation.

Seems zotero dosent really like wiley-vch :D
  • There is now a style for Angewandte Chemie in the repository. Unfortunately it has the same style issues discussed above.
  • Thanks adamsmith for the Angewandte style!
    I might be mistaken, but I think there is a small error in it. In the correct format, only the volume is given (in italics). Right now, the part number or issue number is also given (in brackets) in the bibliography, e.g. it should be
    H. J. Ache, Angew. Chem. 1989, 101, 1–21 (with italics of course)
    rather than H. J. Ache, Angew. Chem. 1989, 101(1), 1–21.
    This can also be found on their web site http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/26737/home/2002_guideline.html, see 4 guidelines ... d) references
    I would really appreciate if that could be changed. Thanks!
  • thanks for reporting. fixed on the repository, use this link to update:
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/angewandte-chemie/dev?install=1
  • Thanks for the prompt fix! Now this works fine, thanks!
  • To adamsmith:

Thanks again for creating the Angewandte Chemie style. I want to report a tiny error to the style: for references consisting of author names, journal title and DOI, such as:

D. Bruss, Appl. Phys. B, DOI 10.1007/s003409900185.,

the comma is missing between the journal title and "DOI", and instead the reference looks like this:

D. Bruss, Appl. Phys. B DOI 10.1007/s003409900185.
  • got it thanks - I'll take a look asap, but I have a bit of a backlog at the moment.
  • edited June 29, 2010
    Thx a lot for your help with "angewandte Chemie".

Today i tried to cite a website and i recognized that there is no date in the bibliography (but in zotero it is shown when the site was added). And are you sure, that "can be found under" is needed for that style?

Would be nice if you could help again, so that the style cites webpages correctly :)
  • schuessi - websites have an accessed date and a date. As far as I can tell, Angewandte Chemie doesn't use the accessed date. Their sample citation in the author guidelines is:

S. Novick, "Biography of Rotational Spectra for Weakly Bound Complexes", can be found under http://www.wesleyan.edu/chem/faculty/novick/vdw.html, 2005.

Where 2005 should be the date the paper/article/website was written, not when it was accessed. So that's correct and you'll have to manually add the date for a website. As is the "can be found under" - at least according to their samples.
  • Nightcat - thanks for reporting, just fixed this on the repository.
  • Ah ok, thx for your quick reply :)
  • I also checked the Angewandte-Guidlines and you are right, sorry for that "wrong error" ;)

but could you explain how i can have just the webadress and the date of download in my bilbiography (need that format for internal presentations). I hope it is not to complicated to do that.
  • to get just the URL, search for and delete
    prefix="can be found under "

To include the access date - that depends on the format you want -
    it would be something lik
    <date variable="accessed">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>

if you want just the year. You can add lines with <date-part name="month"/> and <date-part name="day"/> including pre- and suffixes between line 1 and 3 above at will.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits
    for general instructions
  • I will try ...thanks for your help.