Can't Empty Trash - error report 1165087287

Error report 1165087287
If I right click on Trash and select Empty Trash, the trash isn't emptied and clicking on My Library or any of my collections gives the following message
An error has occurred. Please restart FireFox.
My version of Zotero is 2.0b6.5
Firefox is at 3.5.2
OS is Vista.
  • The same issue, except that I'm running XP. Report ID 379729459
  • Let us know if this still occurs in 2.0b7.
  • edited September 25, 2009
    Indeed...happens in 2.0b7.2 ...

These entries are from mid-2007...they're old. Tried to individually delete and was unsuccessful. Restored one and re-deleted it...still can't be removed from trash.
  • OK, generate debug output for the emptying attempt from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here. Thanks.
  • Done.

Report ID: 886775697
  • That was a Report ID, not a Debug ID, but this is probably fixed in the latest dev build, and the fix will be included in 2.0b7.5. Let us know if you're still having trouble when 2.0b7.5 comes out.
  • I'm running 2.0b7.7 and I seem to have the same problem.
  • lubar:

1) There's no such thing as 2.0b7.7.

2) Provide a Report ID and a Debug ID if you're still experiencing this in 2.0b7.6.
  • Sorry - it is 2.0b7.6
    Report ID 1211311018
    The Debug ID is D620343507

Thanks for any help.

Steve
  • edited February 28, 2010
    It happend to mee to, happens when I try do empty trash with one specific item.

Report ID 404024429
    Debug ID D296594818.
  • edited February 28, 2010
    kryl.martin: Look in the 'storage' directory within the Zotero data directory. Are there any files—not directories—directly within that directory? (There shouldn't be, but the error suggests that there might be.)
  • Dan Stillman: Thanks alot for the help. I have got a bit confused, but what helped was force sync from server - since than all works prerfectly.

All the best.
  • I'm having the same problem--one night before the diss is due. Get error when I try to empty trash, as a result, my replicate sources keep migrating into my bibliography even though I sent them to the trash.
  • You'd have to provide a Report ID, but what does the trash have to do with a bibliography?
  • The Debug ID is D1711740989
  • If I have two
    Smith, Roger. .....

by accident in my bibliography, I go into my library, delete one of the smiths, empty the trash and then refresh Zotero. I should only have one Smith, Roger now. But if its still in the trash, Zotero reads it as still being there and includes the Smith Roger in the biblio.
  • If you have cited multiple copies of a citation, Zotero treats them as separate references. So if you cited two versions in a document, you have to remove all references to the one you don't plan to keep, and replace them with references to the one you are keeping. At least that's the only way I have gotten it to work. Doesn't explain why your trash won't empty of course.
  • Anders,
    Yes, I've figured that out too. But sometimes I can't seem to find why Z includes two references in a biblio that look identical--there should be some dissimilarity for it to do that, but it doesn't always seem to be the case.

In any case--it's the trash issue that's the real source of the problem right now.
  • OK, but if you know the items you have more than one of, you can simply edit the citation in Word and point them to the proper item (which you'd have to do on post-delete Refresh anyway, though of course you wouldn't have to find them manually if they were deleted).

Disable auto-sync in the sync pane of the preferences, restart Firefox, and try emptying the trash again, and provide a Debug ID if it fails again. (I actually asked for a Report ID, but a Debug ID is better in this case anyhow.)
  • Hi Dan,

It's a couple of days later and I still can't empty my trash. When I try, then I press a library item or folder I get an error. My report ID is 1617121033 and I have the debug report, which I am sending as a mail, because it's so long. I have stopped sync (accidentally-- it doesn't seem to stop--how do you stop it?), I have restarted Firefox and tried this several times over. I'm running FF 3.6. Ever since I migrated to Beta I have had all kinds of bugs: also wondering why when I go to manually create a new item I can't see the item--Z creates the new item, but places it as the last item on the folder, so I have to go and manually retrieve it, then enter data. But one thing at a time, right? I have had a great experience with Zotero in general--a terrific tool.
  • Try the DB Repair Tool. This doesn't indicate DB corruption, but there may be another issue in your database that the repair tool will fix.
  • It has been almost a week now, and everytime I try to empty my trash I get an error and have to restart firefox. The contents of the recyle bin remain undeleted. I have used the DB repair tool, to no avail.
    The newest report ID is 598586571.

Dan, you fixed my Sqlite a couple of weeks ago--I sent it to you via email, because it is less than 15MB. Do you want to see it again?

I am also wondering why when I click on a note attached to a library item it will not open. I have to go into the library, expand the little plus sign and then double click on it to open the note.

I am also wondering whenever I push the button to a new item manually, I cannot see the item. When I look for it, I find it as the last item in my folder, and I have to retrieve it manually, and then insert the information.

These are bugs that did not occur before.
    Thanks for your help.
    Greg Michener
  • I am also wondering why when I click on a note attached to a library item it will not open.
    That sounds like this bug: Zotero Forums - Bug in adding child note
    I am also wondering whenever I push the button to a new item manually, I cannot see the item.
    I have experienced this also, but did not report it because it does not happen all the time, and I can't figure out any pattern. Does this happen to you every time?
  • Hi Anders,

It seems to happen consistently when I am adding the item manually myself. I am not talking about a child note (is that what those are called?). I am talking about a note attached to a library item. Like I want to take notes on a book--I can't simply double click on the note to open it, but must go into the middle pane and manually expand the note.

Thanks for your interest,
    G
  • gregmichener,

The behaviors you report with creating new items and adding notes are precisely what the issue that anders_royce mentioned is about. This should be fixed in the current development build.
  • Hi Ajlyon,

I'm running 2.0.2 in FF 3.6.2 and I don't seem to have any resolution--Do you mind spelling out the fix? The main issue is that trash--in Z 1. you could just delete items and they would be gone. Now I've got a couple dozen items in my trash I can't get rid of. I get an error every time. It seems I'm not getting much feedback on this issue.
  • I don't know much about the trash issue-- I've never seen it, and I think Dan is working on it. I was referring to
    I am also wondering why when I click on a note attached to a library item it will not open.
    and
    I am also wondering whenever I push the button to a new item manually, I cannot see the item.
    I think these should be fixed in the newest dev build. I don't think that 2.0.2 includes the fix.

What is the text of the error you get when you try to empty the trash in Zotero?
  • It has been almost a week now, and everytime I try to empty my trash I get an error and have to restart firefox.
    I'm not sure why you keep mentioning the time elapsed, since it's not going to fix itself—I've been responding to your posts, and days have been going by between your responses.
    Dan, you fixed my Sqlite a couple of weeks ago--I sent it to you via email, because it is less than 15MB. Do you want to see it again?
    No, I want you to try using the repair tool.
  • Dan et al,

I have tried using the "Repair tool" on various occasions. The first problem was a time-out problem, which I have since resolved. Now I get this:

Uploaded file does not appear to be an SQLite database. Please upload a copy of zotero.sqlite

I have various copies of my saved Z database, and have tried to upload various copies of zotero.sqlite (one try after the next). But it seems this is the error I get. Having tried to use the repair tool more than three dozen times over a period of a month, I have not once successfully uploaded a copy of zotero.sqlite . Does this "tool" work for other people?

Thanks for your help.
  • edited April 9, 2010
    Does this "tool" work for other people?
    Yes, all the time, but the system the tool runs on ran out of disk space this morning. It looks like that affected only one person—if that was you, try again.