New Style Request: Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society

I'd like to request a new style added to the repository.
Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society

the closest style I can find is, I think, the format of 'Ecology'.
The only change I see would be to make the authors changed to small caps in the bibliography (not in text).

The big question is this: this journal (and others) require the cited journals in the Bibliography to be abbreviated according to:
AIBS Style Manual for Biological Journals, or
Biosis List of Serials, BioSciences Information Service, Philadelphia.

Is it possible for Zotero to include an abbreviated journal reference in the Bib?

Here are the correct formating (only that small caps should be added)

Adkison, G. P. and S. K. Gleeson. 2004. Forest understory
vegetation along a productivity gradient. J. Torrey Bot. Soc.
131: 32-44.

b. Book Chapters

Glenn-Lewin, D. C. and E. van der Maarel. 1992.
Patterns and processes of vegetation dynamics, pp.
11-59. In D. C. Glenn-Lewin, R. K. Peet, and T. T.
Veblen [eds.], Plant succession: theory and prediction.
Chapman & Hall, London, UK.

c. Theses

McCarthy, B. C. 1989. Reproductive biology of Carya
ovata and C. tomentosa (Juglandaceae): determinants
of flower and fruit production. Ph.D. thesis. Rutgers--The
State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ.

d. Book

Schwarts, R. J. 1911. The Complete Dictionary of
Abbreviations. T. Y. Crowell Co., New York, NY. 179 p.

e. Technical Bulletins or Proceedings

Fosbroke, S. L. C. and K. W. Gottschalk, eds. 2003.
Proceedings, U.S. Department of Agriculture interagency
research forum on gypsy moth and other invasive species;
January 15-18, 2002, Annapolis, MD. General Technical
Report NE-300. United States Department of Agriculture,
Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station, Newtown
Square, PA, USA. 116 p.

f. Website URL

McCarthy, B. C. 2001. Introduction to dendrochronology.
Retrieved August 15, 2004 from Ohio University, Department
of Environmental and Plant Biology. <http://www.plantbio.ohiou.
edu/epb/instruct/ecology/dendro.htm

You help in this would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.
  • I can have a look.
    Abbreviations: Zotero has a field for journal abbreviations and the style can use whatever is in that (defaulting to the long version if it's empty). You can, unfortunately, not deal with abbreviations based on a list, yet.
  • Ah OK I 'll take a look at the abbreviation field..thanks!
  • OK - go here
    http://gist.github.com/183984
    download the file using the raw link on the top right.
    Install by dragging to Firefox.

journal abbreviations in the bibliography are on - so it abbreviates if you have an abbreviation.
    The small caps are on - they include the "and" - which I suppose is not desired (?), but cannot be changed atm.

Do you have a link to a styleguide? It's good to add the styleguide to the style for freature reference.

Please test this and report back. If it works fine I'll upload it to the repository.
  • Hey Adamsmith,

Thanks for getting back so quick. I had a little trouble 'dragging into Firefox' as nothing happened, so I copied the data into notepad, changed preferences to show common file types, deleted the .txt, opened it into a new FF window, and it worked.

All looks good, however, throughout my document where I have multiple in-text citations some are separated by ';' (not the format) and others ',' (the one I want). Could this have been from me previously editing the individual citations? I would think setting doc prefs to a new format would overwrite any manual edits. Strange.

Looking at the .csl script, I see reference to some fields in italics, I don't think anything should be italicized by default (e.g., "book" 'short title' is listed as italic). The only place I see where italics are needed is for Book Chapters where we reference an author 'in' a book, with 'in' italicized.

Otherwise everything looks good. I don't see any "&" only "and". Perfect. Below is the link to the style guide.

http://www.torreybotanical.org/Submission.html

Cheers and thank you very much !
  • hey,
    as for your problems, you probably didn't notice this step:
    "download the file using the raw link on the top right."

Yes, prior edits remain when you change a style (and they should! imagine you had added a note or some explanation to a citation).

Yes, the csl would put stuff in italics - I'll change that accordingly.

I'll check if all the rest is OK, too, but that will take a little.
  • OK. Thanks !

I too will go through again just to make sure all is good to go.... right now I've been adding abbreviations to all my Zotero references...fun times.
  • edited September 10, 2009
    updated on the link above -
    should be mostly correct now. There was still a lot going on -
    for next time it would be great if you could provide better description of the differences, that's really the main work, implementing stuff takes less than 15mins.
    (e.g. pp. instead of Pages, [eds.] instead of Editors, webagpes in <> with title of webpage after Retrieved from, some comma vs. period issues).
    Please check and if everything is OK I'll upload soon.

known (and not currently fixable) issues for future reference: "and" between authors gets written in small caps. No total page number given for books.
    There is two consecutive periods if an item doesn't have an author or a title - this could be fixed, but might be onerous, due to these lines in the bibliography section
    <group delimiter=". " prefix=". ">
    <text macro="publisher"/>
    <text macro="access"/>
  • Sorry about not being more detailed. Will do better next time, thanks for your attention. It might be good to provide somewhere in the forums (or maybe it already is) a skeleton form or outline of how the .csl code is ordered so that #1 - you don't have to go all over the place to make changes. #2 will give the requester a better and organized list of things to look out for.

The only other thing I saw was that I had a few references in the Bib with the DOI information included. That is not necessary and can be left out. Otherwise, I am happy with how it looks.

The 'and' should be small caps, so that is not an issue. As for your last issue, I hope no one is citing references without an author or title! If they are, then let them be frustrated, not you.

I'll format again and see how it looks.
  • edited September 11, 2009
    OK, I'll wait a little if you find sth. else, then take out the dois and put it up.

While there is documentation on the csl out there,
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/csl_syntax_summary
    http://www.zotero.org/support/styles_faq
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits

that's mostly for people who actually want to code.
    It's really just a different, more technical way to describe how a citation looks -
    Essentially, the csl is ordered like the respective citations/bibliographies.
    (More technically, it has a first section that describes how individual parts are going to look - the "macros" - and then a second part where they are put together - one section for the citation, one for the bibliography).

So if someone goes through the different items (usually book, chapter, article, website are sufficient) and lists everything in order that's different to the closest style, that's really the best help I can get - and it's exactly what I do when I make a style from a guide.

Edit: I've added some additional pointers to the "requesting styles" page in the documentation.
  • Re-loaded and compared an array of citations in Word to the format on the JTBS website. Looks great. Go with it!
  • ...and thanks for the links...I must have glazed over these previously ;)
  • install the style directly using this link
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/journal-torrey-botanical-society/dev?install=1
    dois are out.
  • Done. THANKS !

Submitting manuscript today. I'll have a beer in your honor tonight.