Institutional authors, seperators, and delimiters

In our home – made citation style we differentiate between authors and institutional authors. Institutional authors are marked by an entry "I" in the field "note" and we then use a conditional on that field to treat them differently from ordinary authors. We want institutional authors to appear in the text with the abbreviation only and in the bibliography with abbreviation and full name, separated by a dash. So, for example, in the text we have

(UN 2019)

which in the bibliography should appear as

UN / United Nations (2019): ...

To achieve this, we set the "sort – separator" to a "/" for institutional authors (for ordinary authors it is set to a "," and their first names are initialised). This works fine so long as there are no commas in the full name of the institutions. In that case, however, for "DEFRA (2018)" in the text we get

DEFRA / Department for environment / food and rural affairs

in the bibliography, which is of course logical, since the sort – separator has to work for all parts of the name. But equally naturally we want to look at the quotation like that:

DEFRA / Department for environment, food and rural affairs

Does anyone have a suggestion how to achieve this? Thank you all very much.
Daniel Fuchs

The code looks as follows:

<macro name="author">
<choose>
<if match="none" variable="note">
<names variable="author composer" delimiter=", ">
<name name-as-sort-order="all" sort-separator=", " initialize-with=". " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="never" and="symbol" font-variant="small-caps"/>
<label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
<substitute>
<names variable="editor"/>
</substitute>
</names>
</if>
<else>
<names variable="author composer">
<name font-variant="small-caps" and="symbol" delimiter-precedes-last="never" initialize="false" name-as-sort-order="all" sort-separator=" / "/>
<label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
<substitute/>
</names>
</else>
</choose>
</macro>

• How about rather than using the firstname field you use another creator type, say, editor, for the full name and just don't print the label?
  • CSL 1.1 will include formal support of institutional author abbreviations. For now, I would suggest instead doing on of these:

(1) Store the abbreviation as Author and the full name as Publisher. This will be reasonably accurate for most styles, including the one you are writing.

(2) Use another name variable like adamsmith suggests. A good one might be `container-author`, which is rarely used otherwise and doesn’t have a label. You can enter this in Extra like this:
    Container author: United Nations
  • Thanks to both of you for your answers. My main problem with the solutions you suggest is that we already have a few hundred references stored with institutional authors. So it would include quite an amount of work to enter the full names into different fields for all these references.
    The other point is that I am not certain if using another field works with more than one institutional authors, which is quite frequent in the line of work we have. That's why I am looking for another method to swap the dashes for commaswhen necessary.
  • I'm fairly certain there's no way to get this right with the current way you have the data entered.
  • adamsmith, thanks again for your answer. I'm afraid I guessed as much already. But now we are certain and can start looking for another method taking your suggestions above into account.