Modify condition for "subsequent" position

Is any chance to change rule for deciding if citation is subsequent? Change comparison of citation's items (choosoing which items of citation decide, that second citation is "subsequent" position).
  • I’m not following. What specifically are you trying to do?
  • Example 1 (manuscript):
    First citation: [Archive], [Location in archive], [Type], sign. XY, [Title]
    Second citation: [Archive], [Location in archive], [Type], sign. XY2, [Title]
    For now, second citation has "subsequent" position, all items are the same

Example 2 (manuscript):
    First citation: [Archive], [Location in archive], [Type], sign. XY, [Title]
    Second citation: [Archive], [Location in archive], [Type], sign. XY2, [Title1]
    For now, second citation has no "subsequent" position, because titles are not the same. But I would like (in this kind) that the second citation would be evaluate as "subsequente" position ([Archive], [Location in archive] and [Type] are the same - with excluded [Title]). In this case I would use subsequent condition in style and write different citation for second use of citation.
  • No, the “subsequent” tests specifically refer to the same exact item from your Zotero library—there is no testing for content here.

It sounds like you are wanting to just cite the collection, rather than the individual items. A new item type “collection” has been added to CSL 1.0.2 (CSL is the language Zotero uses for its citation formatting). An item type for that will be added to a future version of Zotero. CSL 1.0.2 hasn’t started to be incorporated into the style repository yet, but you could edit the style you are using.

If I’m misunderstanding what you are trying to do, please say so.
  • Thank you very much for your information. Yes, your answer is right to my question. When you planne next release of Zotero?
  • I’m not affiliated with Zotero, just a user and volunteer, so I can’t say when item types will be added.

You can tell Zotero to treat an item as type “collection” by adding this to the top of Extra:
    Type: collection

Then you would need to edit the citation style to add formatting rules for that item type.
  • I see, thank you. So I ask to Zotero to add "collection" type.
  • edited November 4, 2020
    No need to ask. What I meant was “you can get the Zotero app to treat an item as a ‘collection’ type by adding that Extra”.
  • Okay, thank you, I misread your information.
  • Hi,
    Is it possible to use AMA format with
    square brackets for example [1, 12, 16],
  • @laerkepl (for future reference, please start a new thread for different questions -- "New Discussion" at the top left here)
    AMA format specifically prescribes superscript but there are a number of numeric styles similar to AMA with square brackets, e.g. https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:vancouver-brackets-only-year-no-issue
    If that doesn't work, you can also use
    https://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByExample/