Custom EntryName for Biblatex Export

Hello all,

I'm pretty happy with using Zotero's functionality to export as Biblatex and then using the automatically generated EntryNames to cite the papers in my Latex source. It works wonders, except when it doesn't!

Notable exceptions are when we are trying to cite websites (e.g. bioinformatics tools, or Intel tools, etc). The entry itself looks fine, but the EntryNames may end up looking like "noauthor_reference_nodate" or "noauthor_guide_nodate". It is very confusing to read the source LaTeX with such a citations.

I was looking into adding a new field such as "CustomEntryName" and have Zotero use it instead of [author][title][date] (if and only if CustomEntryName is non-empty). Would I have to modify the source code to achieve that, or is there an xml/yaml/similar file which handles the format of those exports?
  • You can add:
    Citation key: KeyYouWant

To extra to use a specific key. If you are using Zotero to write with LaTeX, I strongly recommend installing the BetterBibTeX plugin, which improves the flexibility and usefulness of Zotero as a BibTeX manager.
  • Thanks, "citation key" did the trick.
    I also installed the add-on as you suggested, but I doubt I'll be using many of its features.

cheers
  • At the least, export your database use the “Better BibLaTeX” format instead of the BibLaTeX format. It has a lot of little improvements to the formatting to ensure the best results when writing with them.