Changes to freely localized styles MLA 8th & universita-pontificia-salesiana dashes/inverted commas

Hi,
following the documentation I started searching for things I'd like to change in the above mentioned styles.

For example I would like to have numbers separated by the short dash "-" not the longer one "–" (even if here and within Zotero they are both rendered as long).

I would also like to replace „…“ in German with «...» within the style.

I tried searching both long dash (alt + -) and inverted comma in the style (universita-ponticificia-salesiana) but could not find them.

Any clues if or how this could be done? Thank you in advance.
  • You can look at the German locale style, where all of these are defined under Punctuation
    <!-- PUNCTUATION -->
    <term name="open-quote">„</term>
    <term name="close-quote">“</term>
    <term name="open-inner-quote">‚</term>
    <term name="close-inner-quote">‘</term>
    <term name="page-range-delimiter">–</term>

You can add a locale section to any style
    (<locale xml:lang="de-DE"><terms>...</terms></locale>

or, where the section already exists add additional terms to an existing locale section
  • Thank you adamsmith:

the German locale style is not among the styles I can access from the Zotero file editor and I cannot see it opening the subfolders of my Zotero folder in my Library folder (I am using a Mac Os High Sierra).

How do I access it?
  • It's here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/locales/blob/master/locales-de-DE.xml
    but as I said, you wouldn't actually modify the file (it's packaged with Zotero, so you can't easily). You would integrate parts of it in your style(s) of choice.
  • Thank you so much adamsmith, that helped for the quotes but curiously not for the dash.

After I enter the short dash in the modified style and save it to the styles folder and open it again I have the longer dash instead of the short one.

Do you know why?
  • What's in Zotero? I'm not sure if the citation styles transform from en-dash to hyphen (they do the other way around)
  • edited October 27, 2020
    I did a second test with the MLA style.

Modifying it and adding the rule for the short dash. In this style the short dash stays there when I open again and the output is correct.

Not so in the universita-ponticificia-salesiana modified style where it gets transformed in the code itself to a longer dash.
  • Make sure you change the style IDs. Zotero doesn't transform anything in styles, but it _will_ overwrite styles with the version from the repository if they have the same ID
  • So I did, I am working with the modified versions. Do you know how it is that the MLA would keep the short dash and not the salesiana style?
  • You're saying the actual content of the CSL file changes, right? That must be something on your computer. Zotero simply wouldn't do that.
  • I actually found out why the salesiana style would not keep the short dash adamsmith.
    For some reason I wasn't saving the last changes and it was showing the style prior to that. Now that I managed to save the last changes, both styles show the changes correctly. Thanks a lot.