Zotero storage takes up too much space

Hi,
Zotero is currently taking up 24GB on my computer, most of which is in the "storage" folder. Is there anyway I can make Zotero lighter? Thank you
  • You're a member of a huge group with over 20 GB of files.

Assuming your Zotero is fully in sync and any files in it are available in the web library, you can go to the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences and set Zotero to download files "as needed" rather than "at sync time". You can then do a search in your file manager for PDFs or other large files within the 'storage' folder and simply delete them. If you try to open them later, Zotero will download them automatically from the web library.

A future version of Zotero will let you control how much disk space you want to use locally when using "as needed" and only keep recently opened files or files you choose to keep locally.
  • Thank you very much for your answer.

I changed the sync preference to download files "as needed" and deleted all the e-books in the "storage" folder like you instructed but there are still over 15GB in the "storage" folder⠄Do you have any other way to make the folder smaller? Thank you so much.
  • It's just what I say — if you want to save space locally, you'd need to search for the large files within 'storage' and delete them.
  • There are more than 23,000 folders in 'storage'. There's no way I can locate the large files within such a large number of folder. Will deleting all the subfolders affect Zotero?
  • Do not delete the subfolders.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. This has nothing to do with the subfolders. You need to actually do a search, using your operating system's file manager, for files within the data directory. That will give you a flat list — with no subfolders — that you can delete from.