Word 2016 jumps to Bibliography with every citation added

Hi,

I'm a new user of Zotero and finding it super intuitive and useful, except for one really annoying feature/glitch, which is that every time I add a citation, in a footnote, say, the cursor jumps to my bibliography. I thought this might have been because adding new sources would automatically add to the bibliography (which would still be an annoying feature) but it happens also with sources that I'm citing for the second or third time and the bibliography clearly is not changing at all. This makes adding a citation a much more cumbersome and frustrating process.

I tried opening a fresh Word document and tested it there: same thing.
I see that others have posted similar issues in the past on the forums, but I couldn't find any diagnosis or solution.

I'm running Word 2016, Mac OS 10.15.5 (Catalina), and Zotero 5.0.66

Any help would be much appreciated!
  • What's the full, exact Word version?

Also, while it may or may not be related to this, if you're really using Zotero 5.0.66, you need to upgrade to a current version for us to help you here. 5.0.66 is 1.5 years old. The current version is 5.0.92.
  • I'm using Word 16.16.26. Though since you responded, Zotero automatically updated itself (I thought I had checked this, sorry for not doing so more thoroughly), and now it seems to have fixed itself!

Strangely, when I hit enter to add the citation, it now first jumps my Word cursor/screen down to the bibliography as it had been doing before, but it now also jumps back. It takes a solid second or two and isn't the most visually pleasing, but at least I'm not madly scrolling through my hundred-page document. I'm still not sure why it looks like it is editing the bibliography with each citation, but this works well enough for my purposes now.

Sorry to post a problem without having updated to the newest version and thanks for your willingness to help!
  • In long documents, I’d suggest deleting the bibliography until you are done writing in any event.
  • Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.