Science Direct broken

Since yesterday, I get the "Snapshot" empty, and the "Abstract" seems to be full of the whole article text. It's definitely not happy...
  • Lots, but try:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WSS-4KJD5DW-8&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=15348ca4b6f3d9b13917411556c538b6
  • Thanks. The ScienceDirect translator has two modes—one for authenticated users and one for guest users—and I was able reproduce both of these problems in guest mode but not while authenticated.

Is the Abstract problem definitely new in guest mode?

I've pushed an updated translator that disables saving of both abstracts and snapshots in guest mode until they're fixed.
  • Oh, didn't know I was in guest mode -- I don't think I've ever been anything else (it's whatever happens from Oxford University network), so I suppose that makes the answer: yes, it's new.
    Does that help?
  • edited September 4, 2009
    You shouldn't be in guest mode from a university network unless the university's subscription to ScienceDirect ended (or it never had one) or you're in an unrecognized IP block. It's also possible that ScienceDirect changed the part of the page used to detect authenticated access, though it still works for me.

Does it say you're in guest mode at the top of ScienceDirect pages? Can you access PDFs? Has Zotero normally saved PDFs for you from ScienceDirect (assuming you have the PDF preference enabled in the Zotero preferences)?
  • Hi, scrap previous message: yes, I can download PDFs and I'm not guest, it says on top:
    "Brought to you by:
    Oxford University Libraries"
    Right, now it worked, but I had to force it to pull down the updated translators (although "auto-update" is checked in my options -- which I first had to find...)
    Cheers, thanks for help
    Frank
  • I had to force it to pull down the updated translators (although "auto-update" is checked in my options -- which I first had to find...)
    Zotero pulls translator updates every 24 hours.
    now it worked
    What do you mean by "worked"? If you have institutional access, the changes I made to the translator's guest mode shouldn't affect you, and you should already have working abstracts and automatically attached snapshots and PDFs. If you were having the above problems with institutional access, then the translator is incorrectly using guest mode for you, which should be fixed.
  • I was at home when I first reported, but connected via VPN, so I thought I had institutional access. That is when it was doing the misbehaving. When I got to work, it still misbehaved -- but now definintely with institutional access.
    Then I hit "update" the filters, and presto, it pulled things down correctly.
    Cheers
    Frank
  • Including the PDF?
  • It was pulling the PDF down correctly all the time; it was the header that was funky.
  • Hi, I've found sciencedirect isn't working for me (nothing imported, error message pops up). I'm accessing via Edinburgh University proxy from outside the university network. I have updated translators but still no joy. Could the proxy access be the problem?
  • Ah: I turned on "accept third party cookies" and fixed the problem.