integration error in the zotero plugin (word document)

Hi, I cannot integrate anymore citations with the zotero plugin. it always bringing me to the Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents. those instructions there are so vague that I cannot even apply one. i tried to reinstall the plugin but it is the same problem. Can you help?
  • edited October 9, 2020
    those instructions there are so vague that I cannot even apply one
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. They're pretty specific instructions. If you can insert citations in a new document but get an error in an existing document, you'll need to go through those steps in order until the problem is fixed or you reach the end. If there's something you don't understand, quote it and explain what you don't understand about it.
  • for example:

While troubleshooting, disable the Track Changes feature in Word/LibreOffice, as it can have complicated effects when working with Zotero. If Track Changes is enabled when you insert or modify a Zotero citation, it may mark many or all of the Zotero citations in your document as changed or cause field codes to be displayed. On rare occasions, Track Changes may cause Zotero to think a citation is corrupted. If you had Track Changes enabled previously, try accepting all changes to see if that resolves the issue.

I cannot locate track changes in my word document. They said also to go to format, styles, I cannot locate format in my word document
  • Track Changes is just a feature of Word. If you don't know what it is, you're probably not using it.
    They said also to go to format, styles, I cannot locate format in my word document
    If you're referring to something, you need to quote it. Neither "format" nor "styles" appears on the troubleshooting page, so I have no idea what you're referring to.
  • in one of your resolution page, it has been written this:

"Formatting issues
    Citations and bibliographies generated by the word processor plugins might appear in a different style (font, font-size, etc) than the surrounding text. The appearance of the generated text can be changed by changing the default style. For example, in LibreOffice, open the Styles Manager in Format → Styles and Formatting or by pressing F12. Right-click on “Default”, select “Modify”, and make the desired changes to this style. In Word, open the Styles Manager in Format → Styles or by clicking the “Styles Pane” or “Manage Styles” buttons on the “Home” tab of the ribbon.

Bibliography formatting is controlled by the citation style you select in Zotero document preferences and should conform to the requirements of the style in use. The formatting of the bibliography can be modified by editing the “Bibliography” (Word) or “Bibliography 1” (LibreOffice) word processor style."

I try to go to syles, options in style, but I don't know what to do more
  • edited October 9, 2020
    It's here:
    In Word, open the Styles Manager in Format → Styles or by clicking the “Styles Pane” or “Manage Styles” buttons on the “Home” tab of the ribbon.
    If you don't see format, the second part ("or by clicking...") applies. (The keyboard shortcut on Windows is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S )

Edit: But that's for formatting issues. No need to do this if you can't insert citations. That's just if they don't look right.
  • edited October 9, 2020
    I don't know why you're following that — that's under the headline "Formatting Issues" on the general word processor integration troubleshooting page and doesn't have anything to do with your issue.

Again, if you can insert a citation in a new document but it fails in an existing document, you need to follow the Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents steps through to the end.
  • I did everything in that link, i even delete all the books in my library, nothing is working. It is always showing this message: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?"

what do u suggest ?
  • edited October 9, 2020
    I did everything in that link
    No, you didn't, or you'd be providing more information — the page ends with a request for specific information and a document excerpt that demonstrates the problem. We can only help you if you follow the steps we provide.
    i even delete all the books in my library
    There's certainly nothing about deleting data in your library in those steps, and if you really did that you likely made things much, much worse. If you moved items to the trash in your Zotero library, you should restore them to your library.
  • here is the report ID

[JavaScript Error: "This command is not available because no document is open. [getDocument:\vboxsvr\adomas\zotero\word-for-windows-integration\build\zoterowinwordintegration\document.cpp]"]

version => 5.0.91, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.91, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.23.SA.5.0.91, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.17.SA.5.0.91, extension)
  • Report ID 169771347
  • edited October 9, 2020
    And this happens in a completely new document in which you're trying to insert a citation, correct?

edit: and are your Word docs saved to OneDrive by default? If so, could you try if changing somewhere else on your local drive changes anything?
  • it works with the completely new document.

so I cannot work with zotero when my file is saved on OneDrive?
  • In general saving to OneDrive works, but some people are seeing the issue you are for unclear reasons. I don't think anyone at Zotero has ever been able to reproduce it.

One thing that appears to matter is the filename -- can you try with a filename without a space?
  • I changed the file name and remove space. it is working. Many thanks.

so the problem is filename?
  • Note that OneDrive is specifically mentioned on the debugging page:
    6. If using OneDrive on Windows, save the copy of the document to your local hard drive. OneDrive is known to interfere with the plugin for some people.
    We haven't been able to reproduce this problem, but people affected by it have gotten it to work by removing spaces from the filename, so that's the best we can suggest for now.