Issues with crating a bibliography, using Zotero

Hi,
I am trying to use Zotero to cite my references for my Master’s Thesis and paste into Microsoft Word. However, when I import some articles, they leave out the publisher name, which is included within the article and I have to manually add it in. The option I have been using to import is “Store to File.” Is there some kind of setting where I can have ALL the information included within the article / book that I’m importing and trying to create a bibliography from? Thank you.

Sincerely,
Evan Chertok
  • Generally the best way to import items into Zotero is not by adding the PDF but by using the web broswer connector: https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero#via_your_web_browser

Once you've imported something, it's always a good idea to check on the completeness of the imported data in Zotero and, if necessary, fix it or add missing details.
  • Hi,
    I am still having issues creating a bibliography using Zotero. I downloaded the Web Browser connector and then tried selecting "Store Copy of File" using the downloaded Zotero program, but did not have all the information from the document included. Is there another or correct version of the Web browser connector I can use or a reason why I was not able to get correct citations using the downloaded Zotero?
  • edited October 6, 2020
    Read through Adding Items to Zotero, as adamsmith said, to understand basic usage of Zotero. "Store Copy of File" is not something you should be using most of the time, and the section he linked to doesn't say to do that as the primary workflow.

But see Retrieve PDF Metadata to understand why a PDF you add directly might not be recognized and what to do about it.
  • Thank you,
    Just read through both articles but did not see an explicit answer as to why the "Store Copy of File" is bad. But wondering what the best alternative would be, if I do not use this option, as the article did not say
  • Oops sorry just read about the Connector plugin, but don't see that. Is it included within Zotero? Or do I have to separately download this?
  • We're happy to help you here, but you'll need to take the time to read the things we link to. This is the very first sentence in the section adamsmith linked to:
    To use Zotero properly, you need to install the Zotero Connector for Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, in addition to the Zotero desktop app. See Downloads.

• What article do you recommend for downloading the appropriate form of Zotero? I seemed to have misplaced the last one and it did not work for me
  • As per the above, you need two components:
    1) The Zotero software (which it sounds like you already have and
    2) The Zotero connector for your browser. You can find connectors for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox here: https://www.zotero.org/download/ currently the Safari connector is only available in beta and I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Thank you. I have downloaded the Zotero Connector for Firefox and see that it is up and running. However, I still cannot find the link you sent to me about adding items to Zotero and wondering how I can use both Zotero and the connector to save files and turn them into a bibliography? I am using PDF papers and articles and would like to be able to use them for a bibliography if possible?
  • edited December 24, 2020
    However, I still cannot find the link you sent to me about adding items to Zotero
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. We provided the link twice above. If there's something specific you don't understand, quote it and explain what exactly you don't understand about it.

For creating a bibliography once you have data in your library, see Creating Bibliographies.
  • What I am simply saying is that from this link, which I now found:

https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero#saving_webpages

I am still confused on how you can use both Zotero and the connector to cite articles, papers, and theses, especially when they are in a PDF form.
  • We have pages and pages of meticulously written documentation — we're not going to rewrite it here for you. Again, if there's something specific you don't understand, quote it and explain what you don't understand. If there's a specific issue you're confused by, say what it is. But you can't say "how do I use Zotero to cite articles?" and expect us to give you something other than a link when there's no indication you've taken the time to read through the documentation we've already linked to. The linked page discusses PDFs in multiple places.