Zotero ceased working after Ubuntu update

Today my computer updated to the new Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS and since then Zotero doesn't launch anymore.

I used to launch it by going into the folder and clicking on the "zotero.sh" file. Now, when I do that, instead of Zotero, it opens the terminal with some code (meaningless to me).

Any tips on how to fix this? Thanks.
  • The message that appears in the terminal when I click the Zotero file (if it helps) says

"Increase open files limit
    . . .
    Current hard-limit on Ubuntu 16.10 is 4096"

I have no idea what that means.
  • edited September 30, 2020
    I used to launch it by going into the folder and clicking on the "zotero.sh" file.
    Zotero doesn't come with a 'zotero.sh' file — it sounds like you're referring to the 'zotero' file, which is a shell script. You also don't launch anything in the tarball by double-clicking, and that's never been the right thing to do. While your system could be configured such that you could launch a shell script that way, that's not normal or expected. It's normal in 20.04 for it to open in a text editor.

See the Linux installation instructions to add it to your launcher or use the third-party .deb package.
  • Thank you so much. The installation using the first link didn't work for some reason, but the third-party deb package did and things are back to normal.

Just for the record, before the recent update, clicking the zotero file in the folder worked perfectly for the ~7 months I've been using Zotero in a Linux computer. And I had not configured anything (it should be quite obvious that I'd be incapable of it even if I wanted to, heh).

Thank you again.