Original and 'current' date of publication

I am using author-date style (Chicago).
Is there any way to include an original date of publication in the first appearance of this particular text and subsequently only the date of the publication of the version I'm using ?

For example, first time I quote this text

Lao (1991 [1962] 12)

Subsequent quotes
Lao (1991 12)

Thank you
  • Enter the original date in Extra like this
    Original date: 1964-12-15
  • Thank you, this works for having the original date, for instance
    Lao (1991 [1962])

However, in subsequent entries, I would only need the date of publication (not the original date).
    Lao (1991 12)

Is there a way to do do that?

• Possible, but not without editing the style (the Chicago Manual doesn't say anything about doing this on first citation only) -- it's not a huge edit, but it's non-trivial. How important is this for your workflow?
  • Thank you for your prompt reply. Being able to do so is critical to my work, the great majority of primary sources we use in our field are reprints and the common practice is to cite original date of publication only the first time the work is cited. Subsequent citations would only have the date of publication. If this is possible it would be very helpful
  • the common practice is to cite original date of publication only the first time the work is cited.
    Is this codified in any published style?
  • this is the common practice in literary studies, I wouldn't say this is a particularly published style, it's applied to a variety of styles. I specifically use MLA and Chicago Style
  • @bwiernik

I'd like to ask an additional question
    When I use "Original date: 1964-12-15" in Extra

The original date is displayed before the date of publications
    (Lao She [1960] 1999)
    I would need the opposite
    (Lao She 1999 [1960])
    Is there a way to do that?

Thank you
  • You could edit the CSL style to move it. Look for the `original-date` variable relative to the `issued` variable. General style editing instructions here https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

The Chicago manual explicitly says to put it in the order you see (original first), and as mentioned above doesn’t say anything about only including the original date one time. Style manuals calling for original publication dates (Chicago, MLA, APA, etc.) usually call for the original date to be included in every citation, not just the first.

If you are intending to follow the Chicago or MLA manual (e.g., if your publisher or journal asks for Chicago style), I suggest you use the styles as-is. If there is a specific publisher/journal asking for a different style, we could adapt the style based on their guidelines.