Doubling of retrieval information in dissertation / thesis citations in references

When citing a thesis (dissertation), the retrieval information is showing up twice. For example, in Zotero I have filled out the "archive" field (ProQuest Dissertations and Theses) and the "loc. in archive" field (3732243). The information from these two fields is showing up twice in the reference generated by Zotero (see below):

Abunasser, M. A. K. (2015). Computational measures of linguistic variation: A study of arabic varieties (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign). University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (3732243). Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses. (3732243)

I've noticed the same issue with the other dissertations I've cited in this current manuscript. I believe this is a new problem, as I've never seen this happen before. My gratitude to everybody in advance for their time and help!
  • Which citation style?
  • Thank you for the quick follow up - I am using the APA 7th edition style.
  • According to the APA 7th ed. Manual, this dissertation reference retrieved from a database should look like this:

Abunasser, M. A. K. (2015). Computational measures of linguistic variation: A study of Arabic varieties (Publication No. 3732243) [Doctoral dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign]. ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Global.

When downloaded from the PQDT database, some changes need to be made to the Zotero entry as follows:

Change "Type" field to: Doctoral dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Delete content in "University" field.

Delete content in "Place" field.

Change "Archive" field to: ProQuest Dissertations and Theses

Change "Loc. in Archive" field to: Publication No. 3732243

Delete content in "URL" field

BTW, should capitalize Arabic as it is a proper name.
  • @mstrahan No, that advice is not correct. Do not delete any fields and do not enter information into the wrong field (e.g., entering the university in the Type field). The APA 7th edition style should reproduce the manual guidelines correctly with the data entered in the proper fields. It was tested against the manual requirements.

@eahuntley I am not able to reproduce that result with APA 7th edition. None of the fields are duplicated for me. Also, the APA 7th edition style doesn’t use the “retrieved from” phrase at all.

Double check that you are using the correct style (e.g., not _ASA_). If you are, can you give the URL for the thesis at ProQuest and/or export your item if you’ve edited it to CSL JSON, upload to Dropbox or similar, and link here?
  • @bwiernik has something changed in the APA 7th template? I ask because here is the Zotero-generated reference after downloaded directly from the Proquest Diss & Theses database:

Abunasser, M. A. K. (2015). Computational measures of linguistic variation: A study of Arabic varieties [Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign]. http://search.proquest.com/pqdtglobal/docview/1738861207/abstract/44042F4EB94C4BBBPQ/1

Although this closely matches the general template, it does not match formatting example # 65 on page 334 in the APA Manual 7th edition which is specific to a work retrieved from Proquest Dissertations and Theses Global.

How should users change their reference to match the Manual examples?
  • @mstrahan Nothing has changed. It's just that the data automatically added when downloading from ProQuest has these features:

1. "Ph.D." instead of "Doctoral dissertation" in the Type field.
    2. Archive and Loc. in Archive fields not filled in.

Make those adjustments/additions to the data and the references will match the manual.