APA. in text citation

edited September 23, 2020
Hi

I am using Zotero 5.0.89 with a plugin for MS Word 365/

The in-text citation comes out as:
(Buettner, 2005, p. 00102005)

Below is the reference. It does not seem right to me. How could I use only a 'author, year' format? (P.s.: I have tried APA 5th, 6th and 7th and noted no difference?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
GGM

Buettner, K. (2005). Investigation Report AX001-0/04 (Technical No. AX001-0/04) (pp. 1–48). Germany: Bundesstelle für Flugunfalluntersuchung. Retrieved August 11, 2020, from https://www.bfu-web.de/EN/Publications/Investigation Report/2004/Report_04_AX001-0_MUC_Fokker.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
  • This just looks like you have 00102005 entered as a page number, otherwise it's correct, see https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#page_and_other_locators
  • Thanks, Adamsmith. But as presented in the reference posted, I have not entered 00102005 as a page number. Actually it is 1-48 as posted. I am unsure what Zotero is doing...
  • In the citation in your word document, it looks like you have entered that as the page number (not in the Pages field in the item data). See https://Zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites
  • edited September 23, 2020
    I have not entered any page number besides what was posted (i.e., pp. 1–48). There could be a bug.... It happened with several references in the document!! I had to go one by one and erase that unexpected numbers manually. Not sure what it will do when it automatically updates as a new reference is included.
  • Have you looked at the citation details as per the links we posted? I'd expect that number to show up in the "Pages" field in the Word add-on. Not sure how that happened, but while it's possible there is a bug, it seems unlikely given that you're the only one reporting it.
  • I did looked at the websites and found the unexpected numbers (4 to 5 digits long!) in the 'page' field in several references. Thanks for this hint! I have to remove them one by one manually and now it seems reasonable.
    But I did not inadvertently include these unexpected (long) numbers in 'pages' repetitively in several references. Something unexpected done by Zotero or one of the addons ('better bibtex', 'zotero word for windows integrator').
    I have no idea if I am not the only one to report it. But if I were in charge of one of these software /addons I would be more than thankful with any user (no matter how many!) would let me know about this potential bug!
  • My best guess would be that this is a result of how you entered citation in the Word add-on: If you include a number after the author name in the search bar, it can get recognized as a page number (I note that the locator for the example you provide includes the year of the reference).
  • Thanks again adamsmith. I am not sure if I understood your comment.
    To enter a citation in word add-on, I have either started writing the author name and, as the software automatically lists the possible references from the databank, I have picked the right one.
    Or I have copied text with citation from another docx-file where I had previously introduced the citation in this exactly same way (same software MS Word, Zotero and add-ons), but using AIAA format.
  • If you type a number after the citation is selected, e.g. you type 2005 after you have selected Buettner, that gets added as a page number to the citation. That seems like the most likely scenario here. It could be that this comes from the AIAA citations, so was something you did a while back: those would never show a locator, so you wouldn't notice in the old text.