Moving Zotero to my second hard drive

edited September 22, 2020
I have two hard drives (actually solid state drives now). One is for programs, the other for data or documents I generate. I want to move my Zotero storage files from the former to the latter to save space on my program disk.
What is the best way to do this?
Is it (still) a problem to store or backup my Zotero data files on Dropbox? I remember it used to be a few years ago.
Many thanks
  • 1. Quit Zotero,
    2. make a copy of your data directory and place it in the new location,
    3. restart Zotero,
    4. set the new location as custom data directory location in the advanced preferences under files and folders,
    5. restart Zotero again,
    6. verify that it's actually looking in the new location and everything looks OK,
    7. delete the data directory from the old location

See https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data for details on the data directory

Generally don't put the data directory in Dropbox. It's likely OK if the Dropbox folder only ever syncs up and not down (i.e. if no other device is syncing with DB) but even then DB struggles with the frequent changes made to, and locks placed on, the .sqlite file so it's better to not use it at all.
    This has nothing to do with Zotero; it applies to any database placed on Dropbox.