Adding Metadata

Hi Everyone, just dropped pdfs onto zotero. It grabs most of the metadata. Some pdfs don’t. Is there a way that I can get it to look again on the specific pdf? Second question. If I open the pdf and get the doi, is there a way that I can search it? And add the meta data to the pdf file. Easy solutions? Things get too complex or too busy... can be overload. Thanks.
  • First, read through Retrieve PDF Metadata to make sure you understand how this all works.

You can always right-click → Retrieve Metadata for PDF to try again, but there's rarely any point — if it doesn't work the first time, it's likely just not possible to retrieve metadata for that PDF.
    If I open the pdf and get the doi, is there a way that I can search it? And add the meta data to the pdf file.
    Copy and paste into Add Item by Identifier, and then drag the PDF onto the created item.

But if there's a DOI in the first few pages of the PDF, Zotero should be able to retrieve metadata for it if Add Item by Identifier works. Sometimes DOI registration agencies just don't make metadata available, or if it's a new paper there can be a bit of a delay.
  • Thank you. Most appreciated. I am using a Mac. For those with the same question the right-click is the control key on the Mac. It will take me a bit, to understand things. I communicate with journal articles. This software will be a great help.