CMS - terminal punctuation in titles

The CMS styles add a full stop to title even when the title already includes terminal punctuation such as an exclamation mark or a question mark. Is there an option in CSL to override the additional terminal full stop in this case?
  • The Chicago Manual of Style CSLs should already do this for titles (and they do for me). Can you post a test case along with the name of the style you're using?
  • Using this reference: http://www.zotero.org/turkeyphant/items/48046779

And "Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography)"

The bibliography output is:

Agar, Jon. “What Happened in the Sixties?.” The British Journal for the History of Science 41, no. 04 (2008): 567-600.

I want to get rid of the full stop after the question mark in the title.
  • yes, I can confirm that - is that new? I thought this had been sorted out a while ago.
    I tried this for all CMoS styles and using different citations.
  • What do you mean, "is that new?" I can't remember whether it happened before but I suspect so although that would have been at least a year ago. Is there a variable in CSL that corresponds to this?
  • sorry, that was not intended as a question for you but to developers - I distinctly remember (or I thought I did) this working just fine.
    I don't think there is a CSL variable, no.
  • This is a known issue--it only occurs in article titles. Should be easy to fix.
  • I'm looking at this problem now for citeproc-js. The CSL of the style is adding the period as a prefix to a completely separate sibling element, which is something of a challenge for the processor. We'll cope, but it is actually very difficult to produce this behavior (suppression of extraneous punctuation) in a way that will cope with this use case and not break other things (like the swapping of punctuation and quotes, which is in the CSL 1.0 spec).

I'll post to this thread when the problem has been solved in the new code.
  • Okay, this is working now in the new processor. In the approach that I've taken in the code, extraneous punctuation will not be suppressed if it occurs at a different group nesting level; but sibling prefixes with leading punctuation will be handled correctly.
  • edited September 2, 2009
    Frank--Many thanks! I don't think I could have changed the code to put punctuation within the title macro (it's actually a group delimiter rather than a prefix)--this would break the code for several oddball item types.