Style Request: MCLC, ISSN # 1520-9857

edited September 18, 2020
Hello,

Would be possible to create a Zotero style for the journal Modern Chinese Literature and Culture?

The information for this specific journal are available here
https://u.osu.edu/mclc/journal/submissions/

Thank you
  • Yes. Please follow this guide and add all the missing information and the exact(!) examples given here in this guide.
    Please also edit the thread title accordingly to make it easier for future users to find it.

https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles
  • Thank you for your reply, here are the information

I'd like to request a style for the journal Modern Chinese Literature and Culture, ISSN # 1520-9857.
    https://u.osu.edu/mclc/journal/submissions/

Samples of In-text citation (assuming we are quoting the first page in each of these publications:

(Campbell and Pedersen 2007: 307)
    (Mares 2001: 184)

Bibliography:
    Campbell, John L., and Ove K. Pedersen. 2007. "The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success." Comparative Political Studies 40, no. 3: 307–332. https://doi.org/10.1177/0010414006286542

Note: The tile of the journal (Comparative Political Studies) should be in italics.

Mares, Isabela. 2001. "Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers?" In Peter A Hall, and David Soskice, eds., Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage. New York: Oxford University Press, 184–213.

Note: The tile of the book (Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage) should be in italics.

Unfortunately there are no freely available paper formatted with this particular style, and no existing CSL style that matches.

Thank you
  • 1. There will definetely be a match, but don't worry about that.
    2. Please edit the thread title as requested.

I have logged your request, but it will take some weeks.
  • Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
    I've edited the thread title.
  • edited January 25, 2021
    Thank you! The style is very useful. I've noticed 3 issues with in-text references/bibliography and I was wondering if they can be corrected

In-text references
    1 The colon should be followed by a space.
    NOT (Lao She 1999:23)
    CORRECT (Lao She 1999: 23)

2 Page numbers need to be shown in full
    NOT (Zhang 1998: 110-23)
    CORRECT (Zhang 1998: 110-123)

3 The letter following the date should be in Italics
    NOT Zhang 1999a
    CORRECT Zhang 1999a

Same issues in the bibliography:
    1 The colon should be followed by a space.

2 Page numbers need to be shown in full
    e.g., 110-123

3 The letter following the date should be in Italics
    NOT Zhang Chengzhi. 1999a.
    CORRECT Zhang Chengzhi. 1999a

• Thanks for reporting the issues.
    All should be fixed. Could you test out the year-suffix issue? (on work computer where I can't test properly).

Right click, save as, install:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/f7ee691ea68efefa95597e345a3f0a25079fdf9f/modern-chinese-literature-and-culture.csl
  • Yes, it works. Thank you for your prompt help
  • Hello, I spotted another issue, this time with the bibliography.

For websites, the URL is displayed as:

Smith, Alan. 2011. "Title." Retrieved January 24, 2021 (https://shss.sjtu.edu.cn/Web/FacultyDetail/118?f=1&t=1).

It should be:
    Smith, Alan. 2011. "Title." URL (accessed 1/24/21): https://shss.sjtu.edu.cn/Web/FacultyDetail/118?f=1&t=1

Please note:
    1) year is abbreviated (not 2021) but 21
    2) and there is no colon at the end of the URL

Would be possible to fix this?
    Thank you
  • Also, I ran into another issue with in text quotations.

I am referencing an author, using the "two fields"
    Last name: Bai
    First name: Lian白练

When I cite multiple works of the same author in the same in-text reference they appear as:

(Bai 1988a, 2009, 2011; L. Bai 1985, 2015a)

as if Bai 1988, 2009, 2011 were by one author; and the works published in 1985 and 2015 by a different author

I've checked and the name of the author is identical for all the years (there are no additional spaces). I've also tried to refresh but the problem persists. I've deleted and re-entered the in-text references and they are displayed correctly (i.e., Bai 1985, 1988, 2009, 2011, 2015) BUT when I refresh the problem re-appears and they are displayed as

(Bai 1988a, 2009, 2011; L. Bai 1985, 2015a)

Any suggestion?
    Thank you
  • edited January 29, 2021
    @damnation thank you!
    Unfortunately, there'are other 3 issues: in the bibliography. The letters for titles and publications are capitalized even though in the zotero database are not.

I) URL

Now in the bibliography the URL is displayed as:
    (www.chinawriter.com.cn/n1/2016/0709/c405648-28539270.html) (accessed 1/20/21).

It should be:
    CWA, 中国作家协会. 2016a. “Di Yi Jie Quanguo Shaoshu Minzu Wenxue Chuangzuo Pingjiang Huojiang Zuopin Pianmu 第一届全国少数民族文学创作评奖获奖作品篇目—文学奖项 (List of Awarded Works at the First Edition of the Junma Literary Awards).” URL (accessed 1/20/21): www.chinawriter.com.cn/n1/2016/0709/c405648-28539270.html

Please note that there should be no colon at the end of the URL

II) capitalizations not wanted
    I'll prove two examples
    1. The field publication in Zotero standalone is, for example, Huizu wenxue

However, in the bibliography, both of the words are capitalized (i.e., Huizu Wenxue)
    It should be: Huizu wenxue

2. The title of a journal article in Zotero standalone is, for example, A survey of China's Ethnicity

However, in the bibliography, the tile is displayed as A Survey of China's Ethnicity.

Would be possible to have letters capitalized or not capitalized as they show in the Zotero standalone?

III) same author in bibli
    When an author has two or more works, his/her name should be replaced in the bibliography by ——— (3 m-dashes).

For instance:
    Birch, Cyril. 1961. “Lao She: The Humourist in His Humour.” The China Quarterly (London) 8, no. 8: 45–62.

Birch, Cyril. 1991. “Literature under Communism.” In Roderick MacFarquhar and John K. Fairbank, eds., The Cambridge History of China. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 743–812.

It should be:

Birch, Cyril. 1961. “Lao She: The Humourist in His Humour.” The China Quarterly (London) 8, no. 8: 45–62.

———. 1991. “Literature under Communism.” In Roderick MacFarquhar and John K. Fairbank, eds., The Cambridge History of China. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 743–812.

Would this be an easy fix?
    Thank you
  • Hi,

I) fixed

II)
    1+2. For the title casing:
    The guidelines do show title casing for English titles (e.g. "China Turned On: Television, Reform, and Resistance"). I cannot turn it off for Chinese titles.

Same goes for article-journal titles, e.g. "Grimaces of the Real, or When the Phallus Appears."

III) fixed

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/f7782e4e1bb153787e73e731ffe94775bf47cdc9/modern-chinese-literature-and-culture.csl
  • @damnation
    Great thank you! I've not yet checked them but I will soon.

I noticed that translators are not included in the bibliography, they should. For instance:

Mo, Yan. 2004. Big Breasts and Wide Hips. Tr. Howard Goldblatt. New York: Arcade Publishing.

[note: translator is indicated by “Tr.” not “Trs.” or “Trans.”]

Could you add that as well?
  • edited February 16, 2022
    Hello,

MCLC style has been changed. Is this the appropriate page to request an update?

Thank you
  • Yes, it is.
    We'll need a link to the new guidelines and ideally a paper with the new formatting.

Also, to speed this up, a numbered list with change requests will make this easier for us.

• @faustfisher
    See my answer above for the missing pieces we need to provide an updated style.