Word plugin - cannot edit citations in certain sections of document

Hi,
Zotero won't let me edit i.e. I get the "the cursor is not presently within a zotero citation" message, but only in certain portions of my word document. For example, I cited La Trobe 2002 on p.8 and Zotero wouldn't let me edit. However, La Trobe 2002 is cited again on p.16 and there's no problem with editing. When I copied the sentence containing La Trobe 2002 on p.8 and pasted it on p.16, it works perfectly. If I copy a functional citation from p.16 and paste it to p.8, it does not work (the original on p.16 continues to work).

What's even more bizarre, is that it seems that if i paste functional text into a paragraph of dysfunctional text, the dysfunctional text fixes itself! now the problem starts with the paragraph below. If, however, I paste functional text on a new line (press enter) following a dysfunctional paragraph, the pasted text becomes dysfunctional too. Only pasting into the midst of a paragraph fixes it.

It has got to be something with formatting (different parts of the doc were written on four different computers by four different people, one of whom was using Word for Mac, but the doc was put together, without field codes, in a new word document on my computer). i'm dealing with this issue in this hodge-podge way, but if you want, I can send the tech folks a copy of the document and maybe you can deduce a bit more scientifically what kind of formatting (or whatever it is) is interfering with Zotero.

Info: I'm using Word 2003, Zotero 2.0b6.r4740, and i think i have the latest Word plug-in (how can i check that?)

Thanks
  • Update: the copy-pasting fix is not working for the last paragraph of p.8. I really have no idea what's going on any more!
  • Update 2: ok, it seems that you have to paste functional text at the beginning and at the end of the dysfunctional paragraph in order to fix it... it really seems to me like it's some formatting issue or something. All of my text is in 'Normal' format but it seems that vestiges of some other formatting persist in between paragraphs (this is a common glitch in Word - when you delete the space between two paragraphs, one of them may suddenly revert to a previous or a default formatting, even if you've manually selected the paragraphs in question and made them both the same format).

did anyone else ever see this problem?
  • why are you using a trunk version of Zotero? That seems a bit risky for real work...
  • Update 3: ok, it seems to have been an issue with a table all along (there are many other posts relating to tables). there was a table on p.5 and another one on p.11 and the error was present in the text between those two tables. i cleared the formatting inside and around (1 paragraph before and one after) the table on p.11 and everything is working fine. still,very bizarre...

adamsmith, what do you mean by trunk? you mean beta version? i'm using beta because i needed to share sources with someone and we decided to test zotero's sync function which was not present in zotero 1, i believe (at least that was our reasoning for using the beta at the time). so i'm stuck with beta on my computer and so far it hasn't caused any major problems so I'm using it to make a bibliography for this doc. is there a newer version? the automatic update function is enabled, so i thought i had the latest...
  • no, I mean trunk -
    i.e. the version that gets updated daily and is used by the developers for testing.
    If you're looking in About Zotero and you see
    Zotero 2.0b6.r4740
    you are using the trunk - the trunk is unstable and should not be used for actual work and data.

What you should be seeing is:
    Zotero 2.0b6.5
    the most current beta which is quite stable and well suited for actual work (including the functionality you describe above).
    I'd recommend waiting for the next beta update (which will be 2.0b7 I believe) and then using that to update _before_ updating to the next trunk build.