Chicago Short Note Punctuation and Title

Hello. I am fairly new to Zotero. I am using 5.0.90. I am also seeking to use the Chicago Short Note .csl. I believe I have downloaded the most recent version. I am also using the BibTex citation key in a footnote of a Markdown that outputs to .docx.

When I use the .csl short note style and the citation key. I have two (interrelated?) issues that come up. I am trying to resolve and would appreciate any help and guidance.

1. Punctuation: My BibTex key for the following resource is @KearneyIntroduction2006. This is a book section and when I write @KearneyIntroduction2006, xvi the .csl file output comes out like this:

Kearney, “Introduction.”, xvi

I have added the comma but the period does not go away. Interestingly, when I use a BibTex citation key for a book (an item that does not have quotation marks in its output like a journal or book section), it seems to work fine. For example, @Hubscher-DavidsonTranslation2017, 3-4 comes out like Hubscher-Davidson, Translation and Emotion, 3-4. Notice that I added the comma and this time it removed (what I think would be) a naturally generated period by Zotero.

2. Subsequent References: Additionally, when I have two references following each other in sequence I get the following result.

Hubscher-Davidson, Translation and Emotion, 3-4.
Hubscher-Davidson, 7.

I do not want to use ibid style and I would like the short note to reproduce the author and short title each time.

Thank you for any guidance. This might be a basic question asked in ignorance. I appreciate your help in guiding a novice along this way. :)
  • Not sure if anyone has any insight on this issue. I would appreciate any guidance on figuring out some of the odd citation outputs here.

Many thanks!
  • 1. Sorry, I guess I'm a bit confused how Zotero figures into this? Zotero doesn't format citations with bibtex keys from markdown. That's most likely pandoc, but you'd have to say how you're actually processing your documents. It's fine to ask CSL questions here, but I'm pretty sure the position of punctuation is handled by the processor and Zotero's implementation gets the above right (you can test with the google docs add-on, e.g.).

2. We just don't have a style that always uses the short note. What Zotero does is the recommendation of the Manual. We have a full note style that always uses the regular short note -- based on frequent requests -- but don't have that for the Note version because it takes time to maintain all of these different versions. It wouldn't be terribly hard to modify the note style yourself to change that behavior, just look at the relevant full note version: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:chicago-fullnote-bibliography-short-title-subsequent
  • Thanks for your response!

Although I am trying to write in Markdown and process the document with BibTex key through Pandoc/Bookdown, I have tested this on Word and Google Docs with the plug-ins to see what happens.

1. In terms of punctuation, it seems to be locating the punctuation correctly (as you said), but this assumes I will have to add the page number by editing the punctuation in the actual document. That is, Zotero plug-in will give a period by default and I will have to edit the period from a period to a comma in the Word/Google Doc and then add the page number.

Maybe this is how it is supposed to work, but I thought there might be a way to insert the page number in via the plug-in or Bibtex key in a way that would automatically change the punctuation correctly. In effect, I am looking for a way to put the most "native" version of a citation in a markdown document that will allow it to be processed in any number of citation styles.

So, as to my original question, you are probably right that the output (i.e., punctuation) is getting messed up through when processed through Pandoc. I was using BibTex key as a way to be able to output a document to multiple citation styles (I think this is its function). Am I understanding the function of the BibTex citation key correctly? I know this is not a forum on Pandoc, but I wanted to make sure I was understanding how the BibTex key should work.

2. Also, thanks for the reference to the Chicago short note above. Do you have any guidance (I am not a coder) for how to adjust the .csl so that it only does short note and does not give the full note first? Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

I greatly appreciate your time and help!

• but this assumes I will have to add the page number by editing the punctuation in the actual document.
    No -- if you add the page number through the add-on, it automatically adjust the punctuation accordingly: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#page_and_other_locators

Try this in pandoc instead of your current syntax: [ @Hubscher-DavidsonTranslation2017, p. xiv] and see if that works correctly. That should emulate what inserting the page number through the Word add-on does.

2. See https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step for general instructions. Comparing the various Chicago styles' "citation" section should give you a good sense of how this works.