Invisible non-character after citations

I use OpenOffice Writer 3.1.0.
I've noticed when putting a full stop or comma after a citation that it sometimes seems to be drawn into the blue shading of the citation on-screen, i.e. the shading continues past the close bracket. Trying to stop this, I've discovered that immediately after the close bracket the cursor indicates an invisible non-character apparently belonging to the citation.

When I saved a chapter as a Word document and someone else printed it out recently, I noticed a small outline square between the close bracket of every citation and the full stop or comma. My question is two-fold:
1. What is this and should it be there?
2. Should I delete it or is it serving a useful purpose?

I'll be printing my thesis in OOo, so it won't be visible if I do leave it.

David
  • edited August 31, 2009
    What version of Zotero and the OO plugin are you using? This was an issue in previous versions that needed to use a hidden character to terminate fields, but it should no longer be an issue in new documents created with more recent versions of the plugins.

There's no harm in removing the characters, but if you're still using the same plugin version they might be added back in if you refresh the citations.
  • Hi Dan -- Thanks for replying.

I'm using Zotero 1.0.10. I didn't want to risk upgrading to the new version half way through my thesis, just in case -- I think I read something about not being able to go back again. The plug-in for OOo is Zotero-1.oxt.

If it's not going to hurt either way, I'll just ignore them -- but thanks for putting my mind at rest.