Pyzotero: what is it?

So I've been working towards finding ways to make descriptors in a database that is being fed by my research team's bibliographic database.

I've recently posted about implementing ontologies into the organizational structure of our Zotero library, but I'm afraid that I may not have had the right thinking towards the database that I am managing.

While the "Notes" and the "Tag" fields are good for tagging our records, my team and I have been working towards creating an index and using descriptors, and implementing that into our library.

We've been thinking of using Python to help with creating a more streamlined indexing processes (rather than typing the terms over and over), which is where I came across Pyzotero. I'm hoping that someone could give me a better idea of what it is and what it is used for; I don't have too much coding experience so please keep any descriptions simple to understand.

Thank you ahead of time for any help and advice!

• PyZotero is a python interface to the Zotero.org Web API, which can be used to access Zotero account data and make changes. https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/web_api/v3/start
  • And at a higher level of abstraction: APIs typically expose web functionality, but often in ways that requires a bunch of work when using a particular programming language -- e.g. you need to carefully specify headers and components in request, you need to translate the data into formats that work well for your programming language, you need to handle the fact that APIs handle only import X number of items / request. An "API wrapper" like pyzotero, greatly simplifies working with an API from any given programming language. Similar wrappers are available for a lot of APIs -- they vary a lot in quality and pyzotero is towards the top in therms of quality and future completeness