Zotero's add-on dialog in google docs disapears (and how I "solved" it)

I come here with a question and a solution if anyone happens to have a similar problem.

If I create a new google document in drive (I am using Firefox), when I click on Zotero's add-on (in google docs) I can see the dialog "add/edit citation, bibliography, preferences" and so on. However, when following the "Moving Documents with Zotero Citations Between Word Processors" entry, after I upload the converted file to drive and I open it, I can no longer see anything when I press the add-on. I don't get any error or loading window, it just doesn't do anything (Debug ID: D790602153). I tried what I saw in another post (Zotero SubMenu will not appear in Google Docs), but I didn't work. Also, there is no citation dialog opened in the background.

The same happens with the grey "Z" symbol in google docs. If it is a created google drive document, it responds and I can introduce a new citation. In contrast, if the document has been uploaded, the button acts as dead.

How I "solved" it.

I followed the "Moving Documents with Zotero Citations Between Word Processors", except that instead of uploading it to google drive, I created a new blank document. I copied/pasted it there and then pressed the refreshed button in the zotero's add-on. Basically, avoid uploading, since it seems it's what is causing the problem.

I don't know why it stops working when I upload the document, everything should be updated, I tried reinstalling without uninstalling and re-enabling the add-ons.

I hope this can be useful if anyone has this problem and I also hope someone can help me solve it in a better way.
  • Are you copying the .docx to Google Drive (not Google Docs) and opening it that way? Because that won't work. That will open the file in .docx mode, which Zotero doesn't support. You have to do what it says in the instructions: "Use File → Open… from within a Google Doc to upload the file."
  • Yep, my bad. I was uploading the converted document to drive instead of opening a new google document and then file>open>upload. Thanks!
  • Did you not get an error prompt like this https://snipboard.io/rifcEI.jpg ?

If not, open another docx file into Google Docs, attempt to interact with the "dead" Zotero UI, then you submit a Report ID from the Connector?