library search failure correlated w/browser message: "extension requires additional permissions"

edited September 2, 2020
Many unknowns still, but the library search failure is quite worrisome: no searches succeed. Symptom: spins and hangs.

Correlation is not causation, I realize. The browser message "extension requires additional permissions" does not specify which extension it refers to (rather careless, I think).

I wonder if the extension in question is Zotero Connector simply because Zotero Connector seems to be bound up with proxying and with browser use of my university library in ways that are a black box to me.

Zotero Connector (in Opera) still works to save article metadata and PDFs into desktop Zotero.

The library search fails in Opera browser. I just installed Zotero Connector (5.0.71) from Chrome app store into Chrome browser on PC. Library searches work in Chrome.

I don't like being forced to use Chrome but will do so temporarily while we see if there is a fix for Opera. (I doubt you support Opera officially. Let's not go to heroic efforts to fix this but I do appreciate any insights people have to share.)

==> Is there a possible smart thing or two to try that might break the search logjam?

Here are the facts I see as of now.

1. I have used the present Zotero desktop/Zotero Connector/browser/OS/PC/library setup for more than a year without problems.

2. All my software is kept up to date as the maker suggests/pushes: Zotero/browser/OS.

This means, of course, that I've run through numerous OS builds and browser and Zotero versions during that period of successful functioning.

3. Versions
Zotero: 5.0.89
Browser: Opera stable Windows 10 64-bit version 70.0.3728.133
Zotero Connector: 5.0.71
library: University of Minnesota

4. Yes, I use Opera not Chrome. I do have the "Install Chrome Extensions" Opera extension installed and running. As noted, things have been working fine till a couple days ago. I have noted no other problems using Opera aside from what is reported here.
This issue does not on surface appear to implicate Opera but somehow it must since same Zotero Connector version is working okay in Chrome.

5. Yesterday I gave additional permissions to Zotero Connector but it did not restore library search capability. I put a checkmark in the following boxes.

Allow in incognito
Allow access to search page results
  • Thanks. I don't think that page addresses my issue, but it's now resolved.

Searching for papers at University of Minnesota library hangs and fails, starting a couple days ago. This symptom appeared more or less at the same time as the extension error message I showed above.

In Opera I disabled Zotero Connector extension, then restarted Opera, and searches started to succeed again. After restarting Zotero and re-enabling the extension, searches continue to succeed.

So, it appears to have been a will-o-the-wisp.