How to cite an online digital resource

Hello all,

I'm new to Zotero but really liking it so far. I wanted to ask - how should I go about adding an online digital resource such as IMAIOS. I tried adding manual entries both as web page or as encyclopedia article but neither had quite the right fields. I want to store the webpage address (URL), as well as the DOI and ISSN (which I can't do with a web page entry), as well as the authors, title and all the standard things. I also would like to store date and date accessed and have yet to find which type of Zotero entry has all these fields so I can properly add this digital resource to my library.

Or if there isn't one default entry that has all these things, can I add extra fields to an already existing entry template?

Thanks!
  • Any reason that shouldn't just be a journal article?
  • I thought about doing that as well whilst leaving some blank fields, because there is no Journal name, issue, volume, pages (ie. 123-127) or anything like that, but it does have the DOI field.
    Also, I noticed that when I import RefMan citations from Google Scholar (in .ris format) I get a DOI field in Zotero, but when I manually add a journal article I can't seem to find the DOI field.
  • but when I manually add a journal article I can't seem to find the DOI field.
    It's almost certainly there -- are you sure you're not creating a magazine or newspaper article instead?
  • > are you sure you're not creating a magazine or newspaper article instead?

I had it set as an Encyclopedia article. I converted the entry to a Journal article which does have all the fields I need - DOI, ISSN, etc. and I simply left empty the scientific journal fields. Thank you so much for your help!
  • FWIW, while I'd recommend sticking with journal article, you can add other fields to item types that don't include them by putting them in the Extra field as described here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/item_types_and_fields#additional_item_types_and_fields
  • I didn't know that, but the PubMed central ID's that you can add seem handy! Thanks for all the help! I got everything working correctly now.