Using Tags for indexing and searches

We are developing a WordPress plugin to connect via API to a Zotero Group Library, and we need extra fields for custom indexing of bibliographies. We'd probably try to search tags with multiple values:
Language=Marathi
Langauge=Kannada

Our questions:
-- Are there tools / plugins that have used this already?
-- Are there known issues with Tag indexing (slow response time, no. of tags limitation, using UTF, etc.)?

Any advice / thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gil
  • I'm not really clear on your questions here. It might help to post to zotero-dev with more specific technical questions.
  • Thanks. We are taking our first steps here so I can't really provide specific questions but I am trying to find warning signs and possible limitations.

Unicode support in one issue, and then the idea of using *many* tags for one record is another.

The code will be in PHP as a WordPress plugin.

Best,
    Gil
  • I still don't really know what you're asking, though. Zotero is free and open source, and you can see yourself what it can do. E.g., you can see that you can store Unicode in tags, or that there's no limit to the number of tags you can add to an item.

Just to be clear, you're aware of Zotpress?
  • We know of ZotPress, but we need a more detailed and customizable search form. Here's a to a mock-up of how the search form.
    https://www.regionalbhakti.org/bhava/walkthrough/2.html

As you can see, we need the ability to search a time period (centuries) and that would require some workarounds with Tags. In addition, each field allows multiple choice selection (with and/or relation).

The programmer might make use of some parts of ZotPress though.

The project involves 13 scholars plus librarians etc. My biggest concern is with managing the reserved words that will populate the Tags. We'll need to write data validation routines in the plugin to make sure the Tags follow the reserved words table, and so on.

I hope this helps a bit.

With thanks,
    Gil