Feature request: color labeling of *collections* (not items/tags)

I've got a hierarchy of about ~80 subcollections by subject that I'm busy categorizing ~1,000 sources into. It runs about 4 levels deep.

However, I'm running into the problem that it visually all just kinda runs together -- really hard to figure out which level each subcollection is at, like how to scroll to the next one at the same level.

I realized that color-coding each level really helps. Right now I'm doing it by putting a colored emoji circle (I tried pasting here but it produces an error message in the forum) at the start of each folder depending on its level in the hierarchy, if and when it has a lot of subfolders. But that also winds up being confusing too because it pushes the title to the right, which then aligns with the subfolders below...

Does anybody else run into this? I'd like to suggest the ability to assign colors to collections, and actually change the color of the folder icon itself -- big bright colors to contrast with the current muted blue. (Or alternatively be able to assign an emoji to replace the folder icon, which would really let people help visually distinguish even more perhaps.)
  • I agree completely. I am going to see if I can make an extension to improve the collection interface somewhat (filtering of collections and visual improvements to the tree) and if I get it working I will let you know. At least at first, I will probably have the folder icons done automatically by level, which I know is not ideal.
  • Thanks hawisher. Just my $0.02, but if you're building an extension, in case this is helpful -- I know the single most important helpful thing for me with collections would be able to see what multiple collections an item belongs to.

I'm aware you can do it by holding down Opt when an item is selected, but it's almost unusable for me because if I have 150 folders and it's in 3 of them far apart, I've got to scroll through my whole list to see which, if any, are highlighted. Plus it expands parent collections I've then got to re-close.

So whether collections were listed under a right-click submenu, or as a new tab pane for the item, or simply underneath the existing pane for tags... man that would be a huge help. (Also to make sure it's not just the name of the subcollection, but the full hierarchy to identify it.)
  • (The collection tree is being rebuilt — new code for that is already written, though not yet merged — and the current (Mozilla) tree is mostly uncustomizable at a technical level, so you shouldn't try to write an extension that affects the current tree.)
  • That's good to know, thanks. I took a look at the pull request I think you are talking about. Once the collection tree is in JS instead of XUL, will it even be possible to write an extension for it?
  • Yes, but we don't yet have any guidance on the best way to do that.