Copy paste or cut paste unlinks all of my citations in the paragraph

I'm using zotero on google docs to write my thesis and have come to about 150 citations in my document.
At this point I need to change the order of my paragraphs and reorganize, but if I move (cut/paste) any paragraph it completely unliks all of its citations. I tried copying then pasting, but when I refresh, zotero doesn't even recognize the new pasted links and doesn't reorder them. If I delete the original paragraph that I copy/pasted, it will again unlink all of the citations included.
Please help me here! I'm really desperate and frustrated because I need to move paragraphs with about a hundred citation and really can't redo them manually one at a time!!!
Itried downloading the document to word but even then Zotero won't recognize any of the citation. Can you fix this issue for me please.
  • edited August 27, 2020
    Anyone working with the Google Doc needs to have the Zotero Connector installed and enabled when editing the document. Otherwise, citations will become unlinked.

Note that, if you or someone else edits the document without the Connector and citations become unlinked, you wouldn't receive a notification until the next time you used the Zotero plugin in the document.

You may be able to tell when the citations became unlinked by using the document's version history. If many citations are unlinked, you may need to revert to an earlier version of the document.

If you can reproduce a situation where all citations are working, with no warning about unlinked citations after refreshing, and then you do something that causes citations to immediately become unlinked, we'd want to know what those steps were.
  • Itried downloading the document to word but even then Zotero won't recognize any of the citation.
    To be clear, this will definitely break all your citations unless you performed the extra step necessary to move between word processors. If you moved documents or copied citations between Google Docs and Word in any other way, that would break your citations. And any citations unlinked before you did the transfer would remain unlinked in the other program.