Sync problem. Report ID: 1442645281

I've done a little experiment that's messed up sync from my account. After mis-keying and deleting a author name by accident in a sample entry, I tried a one-way sync from the Zotero server, to see if I could restore the entry in that way.

I did Gear -> Preferences -> Sync -> Reset -> restore from Server

Zotero warned that the account data would be deleted and restored. I said okay.

Zotero then wanted to restart Firefox. I said okay.

When Firefox returned, Zotero offered to restore. I said okay.

The contents of the local DB were deleted. Then nothing happened.

After a minute or so with no sign of activity, I went through the process again, but now receive a reminder that a sync session is running from the same IP address. Clicking on the reset button in that popup message seems to have no effect.

The library is still there online, so I assume that there's data at the other end of the sync connection. But nothing comes through.

I'm not sure what one should do to get back on track at this point. There don't appear to be any relevant errors in the Report Errors trace, and the local log trace doesn't show any obvious sign of error either. I searched the forums and found some references to the "sync in progress" dilemma, but didn't come across any means of overcoming it. Kind of puzzling, really.

This is with ver. 2.0b6.5

(EDIT: Added a note that the DB contents were deleted. Added a note that the data is still visible in the online account page.)
  • With the latest trunk XPI, here's what looks like the relevant chunk of the local trace. To my untrained eye, it looks to be saying "Nobody home". Could the data be gone from the sync account, but still be showing up on the account's web view, I wonder.

zotero(3): Session ID not available -- logging in
    zotero(3): HTTP POST version=5&username=fbennett&password=******** to https://sync.zotero.org/login
    zotero(3): Beginning server sync
    zotero(5): SELECT version FROM version WHERE schema='lastremotesync'
    zotero(3): HTTP POST version=5&sessionid=********&lastsync=1&lock=1 to https://sync.zotero.org/updated
    zotero(3): <response version="5" timestamp="1251581762"><error type="locked" code="SYNC_IN_PROGRESS" lastAccessTime="1251581613">Another sync $

zotero(3): HTTP POST version=5&sessionid=******** to https://sync.zotero.org/reset
    zotero(3): <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <response version="5" timestamp="1251581765"><reset/></response>

zotero(3): Beginning server sync
    zotero(5): SELECT version FROM version WHERE schema='lastremotesync'
    zotero(3): HTTP POST version=5&sessionid=********&lastsync=1&lock=1 to https://sync.zotero.org/updated
    zotero(3):

zotero(1): Empty response from server
  • I can still see the library contents in my Zotero account page, and "restore from server" still fails with "empty response from server".

I have a backup copy of zotero.sqlite, and could reinstall it and try updating the Z server account from the client. But I'm curious whether the sync can be unstuck, and the library recovered from the server. This is the sort of dilemma that students might well end up in, and I figure that walking through a server-based recovery would help me to advise them when they do.

If 2.0b7 is on its way, and likely to change the state of play on this, I am happy to wait a bit longer. But I do have courses to prepare for, so if there's no word in a couple more days, I may need to force it in some way, either by updating to the Z server, or, if that doesn't work, by creating a clean account with a different ID and starting over.

If there's something wrong in the data that's stored on the server, I do have a backup, and it will do no harm if it has to be reinitialize to empty. But it would be nice to have some idea what has caused sync to block.
  • Field 7 ('place') doesn't exist for item type 6 ('newspaper')
    I assume this is a mapping you modified in your custom version?

Since the server accepted this to begin with, we'll fix this, but custom field mappings are not yet supported.
  • That's a local modification that snuck through, yes. My apologies for this, and many thanks for checking the source of the error. I'll purge sample data containing that from the local copy, and reset.

Our local customization experiment is going offline, and will disappear very soon.
  • Just tried again after purging changes to system.sql from our modifications bundle, and all is well.

Upgrade of the modded DB works, reset to server went through without a hitch, and synchronizing back to another Firefox profile on the same machine works. Absolutely brilliant. Thanks, Dan, shouldn't be bothering you again about these issues.