Finding/creating reference style which is Harvard style but allows numbered footnotes in text!

Hello!

I am trying to find a style which allows for numbered footnotes in texts so reference in text is a '1' say and then at the end of the page it is referenced as a footnote as '1' with the reference but I want this reference to be in the Harvard style.

I have only found the Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (full note) allows for the footnotes the way I want them but I want the date of issue to be after the author name, at the moment it is after the name of the publication - PLEASE HELP!

thanks in advance!
  • edited August 19, 2020
    Harvard by "definition" means author-date and in text.

What you are looking for is a footnote style.
    We have hundreds of those. Go here and choose "note" for all our note styles: https://www.zotero.org/styles

Which university or journal are you looking to publish in?

You can also use this tool to find something closely matching: https://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByExample/
    Note that you have to enter how the footnote needs to look in the top field (the numbering is handled by Word itself) and use the provided metadata to adapt how you want the footnote and bibliography to look like.
  • Hello both, thank you so much for your comments- the reference styles you gave me @adamsmith are great but the reference in the footnote itself is only author and then date, I would like the title of the publication and title of journal as well if that makes sense? do you know how to do that or any styles that do that?

@damnation I am using this for my own charity's reports where we won't have space for a whole bibliography so want the footnotes to have the full reference but with the date after the author
  • You can use the search tool that damnation links to; I wouldn't know of such a style, though -- not much of a reason to prioritize the date in a footnote without a bibliography. I'd recommend just going with Chicago Manual, which is what people using footnotes are accustomed to.
  • Hi @adamsmith thanks so much for getting back to me- Is there a way to move the publication date in Chicago Manual 17th edition full note to after the author, I love this reference, the only thing I want to change is moving the date to after the author instead of after the publication name! please help! do you know a code which can help or a way to edit this in the manual editor?