Adding Metadata to an existing item

Greetings,

If I have imported a book, say an open access book with an ISBN number. Let's say I drag and drop the PDF into Zotero, and then right click and say retrieve metadata for item. Let's say that this process fails to recover anything. Next lets say that I (or any user) right clicks and says create parent item, a generic document is formed if there is no URL associated with he item. So far, so good. Now, if one wants to use the ISBN number to do the magic query and import additional metadata to an existing zotero object is this possible? am I missing something — I mean one could grab the ISBN number, do a magic look up and then merge the records, Is this the only way? Is there a workflow (UX) reason to not allow the user to enhance an existing zotero object with a secondary menu option... which basically runs the look up given data in the record, such as a DOI PubmedID, or ISBN number, and then puts the retrieved metadata and the existing metadata in the "merge dialog" and allows the user to review the suggested metadata. and choose what they want to keep?
  • Not currently possible but planned.
    So yes to this for now:
    I mean one could grab the ISBN number, do a magic look up and then merge the records, Is this the only way?